Thirty Eight

»»———— ★ ————-««

»»———— ★ ————-««

As miserable and low as he was, Luke was kind of proud of himself for holding everything together whilst incessant company refused to leave.

Ashton had bombarded into his bedroom--a place Luke had insisted he get because after so long with Harley he wanted some time alone to recover--and hadn't left since late evening.
Luke had taken to laying on his side in bed, back facing Ashton and his body somewhat curled in on itself like a fading comfort he clung to for dear life.

Ashton was right beside him, sitting up against the headboard with his phone in his hands and his thigh brushed against Luke's back like a silent gesture to show he was there.
Luke wouldn't doubt the man knew something was wrong, Ashton always did have a strange sixth sense for emotions--especially Luke's--but he did hope Ashton wasn't anywhere close to aware of how bad things truly were.

"So I'm considering the black pearls." Ashton rambled on about bits and pieces, scrolling online stores filled with exquisite items of the highest prices.

Luke wasn't dumb, he knew damn well Ashton was only shopping through stores Luke himself liked; an attempt at peeling information from him. But, if he were honest, he didn't feel like talking and he really didn't feel like being alone either.

"Could get you the layered necklace and I'll buy the watch to match?" Ashton suggested, and finally after a few hours he couldn't take Luke's inability to talk any longer. "We can finally get matching jewellery so I can wear ugly green sweaters and people will still know I'm your amor~" he teased, bringing up a past that felt like forever ago.

When Luke made no move to react Ashton couldn't help but feel frightened, hazel eyes studying Luke's figure with great worry.
His precious Luke had never been this way before, he had always been bright and bubbly, even if he was high he would never go silent--especially not when it came to fashion and designer.

"...Lu?" Gentle, he touched his fingertips to Luke's upper arm with a soft shake.

A quiet "mm" came in response as an attempt to prove Luke was still awake and listening, but that wasn't what Ashton wanted.

"Something's wrong..." Ashton feared he was the worst to talk to, he'd never been good with emotions. "You're never this quiet..."

He abandoned his phone on the bed, sitting up better and holding a comforting hand upon Luke's arm.

"Did something happen?" Ashton asked, searching for answers. "If we've done anything you'd tell us, right?"

Luke sighed, eyes falling shut with exhaustion, and Ashton's heart broke as slow realisation began to seep into his mind.

"It's Harley... isn't it?" Ashton's voice softened, a sense of understanding to his tone, and with a heart weight in his heart he laid down by Luke; wrapping his arm around the blond who stiffened for a moment before relaxing into his hold.