{𝟏𝟐} - 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

Hidden Location

Washington, D.C., USA

April 2014

ON the night of a full moon, the entire countryside is illuminated in its brilliance. The stars dance around it, refusing to shy away from the overwhelming glow taking over the sky. Semna could never miss it; one way or another, she made sure to see the moon in full every month, only increasing her chances of getting caught wandering around the compound. But she didn't care. Laying next to Natalia always caused her to forget the world around them, anyways.

"You were right," Natalia murmured. She turned her head and smiled, nuzzling up against Semna. "It is beautiful. I know what you see in it now."

Semna looked down and kissed the top of her head, breathing in the scent of Natalia's hair. She stroked the pieces of red away from her face, admiring the orbs that looked back up at her. In moments like these, they were infinite. If Semna were at the end of her life, she knew that she could be reassured of her fate in the blink of a green eye.

"Are you okay, moya lyubov'?" Natalia pulled away with a furrow in her brows.

Semna smiled. "Always, Natalia." She pulled her back in. "Just thinking."

"About what?"

She hesitated. "About us. About our future." She took a deep breath, taking in the cool night air. "I just think about getting out of here, away from Russia..."

"Semna..." Natalia began gravely.

"I know." Semna bit her lip. "But don't you ever think about it?" she whispered. She turned back to the sky, getting lost in her daydreaming. "A house far away, with a big yard, a garden, a skylight..."

Natalia swept a piece of hair away from Semna's face, placing a delicate kiss in the crook of her neck. It was a sore subject for Semna, especially when they both knew that their futures were seldom guaranteed. "That would be absolutely perfect," she whispered.

"Yeah," Semna smiled. "Everything will be perfect."

☾                       ☾                      ☾

With each rumble of the vehicle, Semna had to bite her lip to keep from crying out. The adrenaline had finally began to dissipate, the depth of the wound in her shoulder discernible beneath her suit. She could feel the blood still seeping from her skin and the stickiness of the fabric. She sat perfectly still in her seat, as if a strong mind could fight against the overwhelming will to fall asleep.

Just as she began to close her eyes, she felt a nudge against her leg. She jerked upright, earning her a glare from the man next to her. Semna glanced up to find Natalia staring at her, her foot hovering barren in the air and her mouth hung slightly open. She averted her eyes and let it fall, leaning back against the wall of the truck. Semna realized her intentions but felt it getting increasingly harder to stay upright, mirroring Natalia with an apprehensive breath that made her shiver.

"It was him."

Semna shuddered and opened her eyes; of course he would be seated next to her at a time like this. She would have preferred the knife wound over getting stuck next to Captain America.

"He looked right at me, and he didn't even know me." The Captain hung his head as he studied the metal cuffs encasing his wrists, reminiscing on a time he was realizing no longer rang true.