✨ 70 ✨

(Just wanna make it clear again that Liu does not have DID. This oneshot will use DID terminology like "fronting" and "dormant" because those fit the best when describing how Liu and Sully operate. But Sully is NOT AN ALTER. Got it? Good, enjoy!)

I didn't know why I was in charge. One minute I'm completely dormant, and the next, I'm waking up inside the body. I immediately took stock of the situation to try and see what would've made Liu and I switch places, but there was nothing. I was in Liu's room, so it couldn't have been an external factor, the body's heart rate was normal, so it wasn't a nightmare or a panic attack, and I sure as hell didn't force my way out.

"Hey, dickweed! The fuck am I out for!?" I asked Liu internally, hoping that he was in a space where he could hear me. Sometimes the bond between us was broken if Liu was going through some shit or if he was somewhere in the mind where I couldn't access, which almost never happened, but it has happened. Luckily this time he wasn't.

"Tired."  He responded, his inner voice sounding monotone and sluggish.

"Tired..." I repeated out loud to myself, immediately cringing at the sound of my voice- or rather, Liu's voice. I always hated how I sounded in the body, my voice sounded nothing like Liu's. It was deeper and more guttural, with a slight English accent that the body wasn't used to speaking in.

I sighed and cleared my throat before getting up and getting dressed. I put on some old ripped dark gray jeans, a green t-shirt, and a black denim jacket with black boots. I looked in the mirror and frowned slightly.

God, I look so much like him.

"Whatever," I said to myself as I looked for the last thing I needed, which I found in the bottom drawer of the nightstand, a bracelet covered in colorful beads and plastic gems, and big black letters spelling out "Sully." 

I got it when Liu and I first arrived at the house, I was a lot more active back then and despite how obvious I tried to make it (changing the way I spoke, wearing different clothes, different body language, etc) everyone still found it hard to differentiate between me and Liu.

So, Sally made us bracelets; one for Liu and one for me. Liu slowly stopped wearing his as he became more and more dominant and I fronted less and less often. I still find it weird how much a shitty bracelet made by a kid means to me. I guess it was the first thing that was truly mine. Before, we shared everything; clothes, rooms, bodies, minds (more or less). But this bracelet, this shitty, cheap, ugly bracelet... it was mine. All mine.

I was snapped out of my train of thought by our stomach growling.

Oh right, food. The body should probably eat something.

I grabbed the bracelet and put it on, walking out of Liu's room and down the stairs to the kitchen to make something to eat. A guy with black hair, what's his name, Helen? And Sally was already up, Helen was making some fuckin vegan omelet bullshit (how the fuck do they make eggs without eggs??) And Sally was eating cereal while watching cartoons.

Helen looked up at me and gave me a soft smile, "good morning, Liu." He greeted me calmly, looking at me with those inhumanly blue eyes.

"Not Liu," I said bluntly, holding up my wrist to show him the bracelet.

"Oh, sorry, Sully, I didn't see that. Eggs are in the fridge, bread is in the second cupboard to the right, and cereal is on top of the fridge." Helen informed, gesturing to where everything was before sliding his omelet onto his plate. "Let me know if you need anything." He said before walking out of the kitchen to join Sally by the TV.

I quickly went over my options; I'm a shit cook, so anything involving the stove is an immediate no. Helen would lose his shit if I did anything with a knife, so fruit or toast is out of the question. I eventually settle for the box of Captain Crunch on top of the fridge. I pour some milk into my cereal only to find that it's spoiled and chunky. I sigh, toss the cereal into the garbage can, make a new bowl, and eat it dry.

I never really saw the point in eating. I almost never did it when I was in the body, which I would constantly get chewed out for starving the body and forgetting to follow its simple yet very demanding needs. Humans are so fragile. You don't drink water for three days, and suddenly you're dying. Besides, it's not like you can taste much in this body anyway. That's a side effect of dying, you lose most of your senses. It's why Liu likes a lot of spicy shit because it's the only thing strong enough for him to actually taste.

I finish my cereal and put the bowl in the sink before retreating upstairs to m̶y̶ Liu's room. I close the door and don't even bother turning on the light, flopping onto the bed, and staring at the ceiling.

Why'd you want me here, Liu?...

I hear a knock at the door.

"Hey, Liu, mind if I come in?" I hear Jane ask through the thick wood door.

"Sure," I say from my spot on the windowsill, taking a drag from my cigarette and blowing the smoke out the window. I hear the door open and shut as she walks over and takes a seat next to me on the windowsill.

"Hey, Sully," she greets me, and I've never been more grateful to hear my name. Unlike everyone else, Jane can easily spot the difference between Liu and me.

"Hey, Mary Jane," I respond, offering her a small smile which she returns with a laugh.

We sit in silence for a while, but we don't need words to tell what each other is thinking. I know she's wondering why I'm here, and I wish I would give her an answer. I know there's more than Liu just being "tired," but he keeps ignoring me, and I know the bitch probably wouldn't answer my questions anyway. I take another drag from my cig and exhale into the cool afternoon air.

"You know those are gonna kill you one day, right?" She said, pointing to my half-finished cigarette. We met eyes before bursting into laughter at the irony of her statement. I take one final drag of my cigarette before snuffing it out, blowing the smoke in her face.

"Gross! You know I hate the smell of smoke." She says trying to fan the smoke away from her.

"So does Liu," I say, looking out the window once again. She looks at me quizzically before speaking up.

"Speaking of which, where is he? I mean- I know you don't really like fronting if you don't need to. Did something happen?" She asks, her tone caring and sincere, it's always made me a bit uncomfortable; Being cared for as if I were human.

"No, I mean, not that I know of. One minute I'm dormant, the next minute I'm waking up in the body with the only explanation being that he's 'tired'." I sigh, running my hand through my hair. We sit in silence for a few more minutes, I can practically hear the gears are turning in her head, trying to figure out why the hell Liu would put me in charge, seemingly unprompted.

"If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you travel?" She asked, breaking the semi-awkward silence. I thought for a moment.

"Probably England. What about you, where'd you go if you could?" I respond, looking over at her.

"Hmm, I've always wanted to visit Egypt."

"Why Egypt?"

"Why England?"

"Touché."

We spend the rest of the night talking about things we'll never be able to do, about places we'll never get to see. And it feels... good. The next thing I know it's 4 AM, and we're both exhausted.

"Night, Sully." She says, leaning against the door frame. The light of the hallway illuminating the room, creating a silhouette over the carpet.

"Night, Mary Jane." She closes the door, and for the first time in a long time, I fall asleep easily.

Maybe I needed this more than Liu did.

(Sooo, hey, sorry for not posting in like 7 months. I transferred to a new school so I've been a lot more busy than usual. That and I honestly haven't felt like writing all that much, at least not about this fandom. But I'm here. I'm gonna try and stock pile a lot more chapters just in case I hit another writers block so I don't completely disappear for months on end.

Also, WE HIT 100k reads!!! Wtf my dudes!?
I might work on something special but we'll see where that goes. Anyways, thank you so much for everything, I love you all so much.)