2. Safina

Calathea, I suppose, did what she thought was best. In her own way. And when you have the entire world and everyone in it to consider, I suppose things work differently anyway. I can't imagine it, but when you're working on that scale the sacrifice of one person is trivial. So is the sacrifice of two. 

But what about hundreds? Thousands? At what point would our fair and righteous Queen start questioning whether the sacrifice and the death of everyone caught up in the lies was still worth it? Would she stop even if she changed her mind? 

If I could whisper in the ear of my past self, I would tell her to stab the Queen between the ribs during the audience. Twist the knife, be thorough and quick before anyone can react. I'd be next to die at the hands of guards storming the throne room, but it would have been a good death. At least it would've served a purpose, which is more than most people can say.

I'll still die a hero now. The history books will jot down my name on the list of those on the 'right side.' 

It makes me sick. 

Not once in the past few weeks did I do the right thing. 

Excerpt (2/8) of an anonymous letter hidden in the wall of the Diviner's cenobium. Found after the building was set on fire during an anti-prophecy protest.

***

Chapter 2 

The blue, silken dress felt uncomfortably tight around Safina's waist and breasts. The silver necklace was cold against her skin, and the weight of the chain pressed against the back of her neck. 

Safina didn't like the outfit Avery had selected, but that was not a dig at the old steward. Avery had done a fine job selecting clothing and accessories the nobility would approve of, and the dress fit perfectly according to all the official criteria. It was just Safina not being used to posh and revealing clothes that clung to her skin. She felt naked without her leather armour protecting her. 

Outside of the palace grounds, Safina couldn't afford to look pretty. Her safety depended on her ability to blend into a crowd, even if many of the locals knew her face and knew she was a royal knight after years of service. Still, in the streets, Safina had to always present herself as someone not pretty nor ugly enough to catch second glances. She always left her hair slightly greasy and tied in a tight ponytail, and shunned makeup. Her clothing was loose and unrevealing, and wrinkles were a blessing for her line of work—no stranger expected a middle-aged woman to corner them and slit their throat. 

When Safina looked into the mirror now, her own reflection startled her. She looked like she belonged in the palace, which was like a nightmare come to life—even if she looked better than she had in years. The royal blue shades of the dress somehow complemented her raven hair, green eyes, and pale skin. Safina would never buy blue clothes if she had a choice. Blue was the colour of the royal house however, and the colour of all their official uniforms. The blue butterfly penchant Avery had added to the outfit as a finishing touch was also to honour the royal family. It was a symbol of hope—the hope that the Queen would give birth to the Chosen One destined to save the world. 

Safina sighed deeply. She couldn't delay any longer or she'd risk being late. With one last glance in the mirror to check her backside, she left her bedroom unescorted. As a member of the royal guard, the elite, Safina could walk around freely in the palace. For the most part. There were still rooms nobody except the nobility were allowed to enter, and even rooms solely meant for prince Calan. Not even cleaning staff went in there. 

It was strange to consider how servants living in the palace their whole life had less rights than Safina did, considering she had no ties to palace safe for orders being slipped into her hands in dark alleyways. The last time Safina saw the Queen was during her knighting ceremony. Five seconds of attention, and the honour of having Queen Calathea utter your name. It left some of the knights drunk with giddiness for years.