𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑;

IRAQ; 2023

It was different, walking through the desert of Iraq with Gilgamesh apart of the tribe. A part of Kailee felt as if it was missing, like it had been lost to time, and had no plan of uncovering itself for historians to discover and discuss. Kailee walked alongside Druig, who had the collar of his leather jacket turned up so the sand wouldn't whip against the delicate skin behind his neck.

"I can't believe you've been in the Amazon all these years," Kailee said, as they wandered side by side to the site the Domo was meant to be hidden at. "I mean, like, at least Sersi and Sprite had the right idea. Living in a forest? You're almost as bad as Thena, living in the middle of nowhere".

"Yeah, well, it wasn't very fun having you pipe up with every decision I've made since we split. You think I like having you as a subconscious. I'll admit, you kind of suck when it comes to decision making," He replied.

They had always been connected, Kailee and Druig. Despite their personalities being starkly opposing, they still always got on well with one another. "I still don't even understand how I became a voice in your subconscious because trust me, I ain't been making any decisions for you in recent years. If I had, you definitely wouldn't have been living in the Amazon for that long," Kailee was cut off by the sandstorm which had started up due to the Domo emerging from the ground. Turning to Druig, who threw his arm around her shoulders as she ducked her head to his head, the two stood crouched together, so as to not allow any sand in their eyes or mouth. Once the roar of the ship had subsided, the two moved apart, to enter the Domo for the first time in years.

"What are you doing?" Phastos asked Kingo, who had taken it upon himself to narrate the return to the Domo on a handheld video camera. "You know you're creeping us out, you know that right?" As he finished his sentence, a small object on the ground burst due to Phastos stepping on it. "Oh, oh god! Stay calm, T, please".

Thena peered at him curiously, as if to see if he was being serious. Phastos bit his lip when he realised it was just a bag of chips which had exploded open.

"As you can see, being an Eternal does not preclude you from having human emotions, like cowardice," Kingo continued to narrate, as Phastos made a displeased face. Kailee had to use all her willpower to keep from laughing.

What was truly a sight was what Makkari had done with the place while they had been gone. Phastos raced straight to his lab to check the damage, which wasn't a surprise to Kailee, as the others moved around the main area of the ship slowly, reinserting themselves in the nature of the ship.

As Phastos worked on some project only he understood, Thena wasted no time tracking down her weapons. Sprite sat nearby, examining maps while conversing with Thena. As they enjoyed each other's company, Makkari was trying to wrap her head around the fact that Olympia had never existed, and that the world was ending. Kingo was being so very dramatic about it all.

Kailee watched an interesting exchange between Druig and Ikaris, which involved no speaking, but the swap of a box of Twinkies and the emerald tablet.

"How did you end up scoring this Emerald Tablet-" Druig asked, as Makkari made a swipe for the tablet, but failed, "-my beautiful, beautiful Makkari?" Kailee, knowing all about Druig's attraction to Makkari and her feelings for him, watched the interaction with a smile on her face as the others looked on with curiosity. Phastos appeared the most confused. "Did you miss me?" Druig signed to Makkari, a smile plastered on his face. She swiped the tablet from him, this time with no issue.

"What is...is this new?" Phastos asked, while Kingo also questioned, "Is this a thing, because if so, I hate it".

Rolling his eyes, Druig wrapped an arm around Makkari's shoulders affectionately. "Phastos, I need to control the mind of a celestial. How do you intend to help me do that?" Druig asked, as Phastos was already preparing his master plan.

As Phastos babbled on about how Celestials were the most powerful beings in the universe, Druig nudged Makkari gently, once, twice, three times, until she couldn't help but break a smile. "Basically, the bracelets shut down our regeneration process, and once that happens, our bodies accumulate extra cosmic energy".

"What for?" Sersi questioned.

"Well," Phastos said, "If the Deviants can absorb our energy, what if we can absorb each other's energy as well?" He didn't sound sure, as if he was still working out all the kinks in the plan. But it sounded like a solid enough plan to work with, or at least Kailee thought so. "If I can figure out a way to redirect this energy to one person in particular, that Eternal would become immensely powerful, therefore creating..." He paused for dramatic effect, "A uni-mind!" When nobody said anything, he added, "Uni, being one, and mind being mind".

"Oh, no, we heard you the first time," Kingo said; "Terrible name," Sprite piped up. 'Say Druig put Tiamut to sleep,' Makkari signed, drawing the conversation over the name to a close and focusing everyone's attention on her, 'What then?'

"We find another planet for humans to thrive on," Sersi answered.

"Uh, that's a great plan in theory, but that would never work," Kailee piped up, "No other planet in this solar system is sustainable for human life to thrive on, and humans don't have the technology, nor do we have the resources, to transport them to another solar system, one with a livable, viable planet for them. It will never work".

"It could work," Sersi argued.

"What happens if we accidentally kill Tiamut when Druig is putting him to sleep? We would be responsible for billions of lives not existing. Boss, am I right?" Kingo asked, looking to Ikaris.

"You don't want to do this, do you Ikaris?" Sprite asked, though Ikaris was no longer looking at either one of them. Sersi was the one who could speak to Arishem. Ikaris wasn't in charge.

He locked eyes with Kailee. Right now, she was the only one who knew his secret.

Kailee had to speak no words, and make no movement for Ikaris to understand. "Ajak chose Sersi to lead us. Sersi should decide," He said, looking to her. Sprite's emotions had always gotten the best of her. After having a go at Ikaris, she stormed out of the room, only for Ikaris and Kingo to follow after her. Makkari moved off to do her own thing, as Druig made his way to Kailee.

"You have that look on your face like everything is about to go wrong," He commented, as he moved so he was standing directly in front of her, just between her knees. Kailee sat by the window, now leaning forward so she and Druig could whisper and still hear one another.

"What's Kingo saying?" She asked, Druig cocking his head to the side in question. "Get into his head and tell me what he's saying," She said again. Druig settled his hands on her knees, before closing his eyes and dropping his head so he could focus.

Several moments passed before Druig opened his eyes once more. He looked to Kailee with pain in his eyes. "Did you know?" He asked, as tears began to well.

She paused before she even considered answering him. "Do I know what?"

He pursed his lips, his nails digging into her knees. "Did you know?" He asked, again, and Kailee realised he wasn't angry with her for knowing; he was grieving.

"Yes," She replied. "Yes".