Chapter 5- Insomnia

You and your friends head up the long flight of stairs to the Defence Against the Dark arts classroom.

When you arrive the classroom is empty. Everyone takes their seats waiting for the professor to arrive. Eventually everyone starts packing up their things, tiring of the wait. Suddenly the door bursts open and a slightly disheveled looking Professor Lupin walks through.

'What a terrible first impression' he mutters to himself as he strides towards the front of the class, stopping to sigh and look at you all.

'Apologies for my poor punctuality.' He says, letting out another deep breath.

'I'm afraid we had some Cornish pixies to deal with in the herbology classroom.' He continues smiling and brushes the palms of his hands together.

Your heart starts to beat fast as you imagine him fighting of all kinds of troublesome creatures for you.

Lupin catches you staring at winks at you. You are overcome with an intense sharp but glowing feeling in your chest as if, you might choke from trying to breathe in pure light.

'Today we're going to be learning about how to deal with Dugbogs!' he exclaims, seeming eager to share his wisdom.

'Now can someone tell me a Dubogs main food source?'

He looks around the room but barely has a second before you and Hermione raise your hands.

'Yes, Miss Granger'

Your heart drops a little.

'Mandrakes' Hermione answers confidently.

'That's exactly right Miss Granger.' he replies, 'So if you have a mandrake farm you ought to be careful otherwise you may find all your crops destroyed by Dubogs.'

But what do they look like? You think to yourself, raising your hand to ask. Professor Lupin smirks at you as if he knew exactly what you were going to say.

'Today, you're in for a treat as I have brought a Dubog in for you to see' he continues, grinning as the class all look towards him excitedly.

The rest of the lecture carries along quickly. Professor Lupin was one of the best DATDA teachers Hogwarts had ever seen, at least, in the time that you had been there. He was enthusiastic, a great listener and all of his criticisms were kind and constructive.

At the end of the class you gather your belongings, slowly, making sure to be the last to leave, just incase you gather the courage to chat with your professor. You head towards the door until, you feel gentle hands on your shoulder.

'Miss (y/s/n)' a smooth voice says from behind you.

You turn around quickly, barely gathering enough breath to utter the words,

'Yes Sir?'

'Your shoe laces are undone my dear.' Professor Lupin says, pointing towards your boots.

'Thankyou.' You say, frantically trying to tie them up.

'We wouldn't want you falling over now would we?' He says, smiling down at you and staring deep into your soul with those incandescent eyes.

Standing back up again, he removes one hand from the pockets of his blazer and opens the door for you, using the other to wave you off as you head back to your dormitory.

As you open your door, you hear Pansy and Daphne giggling on the other side.

'Isn't he lovely?' Daphne whispers.

'Lovely on the eyes, that's for sure' Pansy replies still laughing.

They both turn to look at you as you walk through the door.

'What do you think (y/n)?' Daphne asks.

'Sorry?' you say, still lost in the daze your professor had left you in.

'Professor Lupin,' she continues, 'Don't you think he's gorgeous?'

'Don't be ridiculous, he's our teacher' you reply sharply, attempting to hide the blush you could feel building in your cheeks.

'Well we think he's fine' Pansy says and continues chatting to Daphne, whilst you climb into your bed to read.

You spend the next few days trying to; rather unsuccessfully; trying to deny your attraction towards your professor.

There's no point trying to double back on your feelings now, as the days went on, thoughts of him only consumed you more.

It got to the point where you could hardly sleep, his gentle words, howling loudly in your head. This was of course not helped by the light of  the constant growing of the moon, sacred, midnight light shining into your dormiatry.

One night you gave up on trying to sleep and just sat on the balcony, watching the lunar body become fuller and fuller, hearing Daphne snore away peacefully, inside.