prologue

When Vyn'nyla Evian first met Elanora Nortik, the force sensitive girl was ten and becoming a padawan. Her hair was like the brightest gold and seemed to set a crown of distinction upon her head. Her eyes were clear of any troubles and bright blue. Vyn'nyla told her friends that her padawan was a heaven-send, her saving grace, quite literally. Elanora looked as if she had been sent by the angels, and acted like it for years as well. The blonde girl was a celestial light for the older Jedi.

If her master could see her now, Elanora knew she would be disappointed. While her appearance still seemed as heavenly as it had the first day they met, her personality and mindset was quite different. Her blue eyes now carried a look of sorrow and guilt that could not be ridden as opposed to the light and airy look they had years before. Her mind was clouded by the dark side, something that Vyn'nyla had always trained her not to let happen, and now every time Elanora ignited her lightsaber, red reflected in her eyes instead of the blue that had once matched them.

Ten years had passed since the end of the Clone Wars, which meant ten years since Vyn'nyla and Elanora had seen each other, but despite that Nora knew that Vyn'nyla would have been disappointed in the way things had gone since then. Nora knew that her former master was dead, and she had watched the life drain from her own padawans eyes during that final battle, so she also knew she was alone. Perhaps she preferred being alone to knowing that her master would've hated the way she turned out, but the feeling still lingered that things might have been different if she wasn't alone.

Every day since the war ended, Nora woke up with what felt like the weight of the galaxy on her shoulders. She walked the halls of Star Destroyers every day passing Imperial officers and speaking to two former padawans of the Republic. She watched every day as the life and the light side drained from them, so that ten years later when she passed Yavin Kestis and Leila Javal, they looked just as empty inside as she felt.

She would have done something if she could, but the overbearing feeling of Darth Vader and the Grand Inquisitor both breathing down her neck stopped her.

As an Inquisitor, Nora had been tasked with finding and killing all remaining Jedi. Every time a force sensitive person was found, the pang of guilt she felt in the moment always evolved to the overwhelming, keep you up at night, sick to your stomach kind of guilt.

She could've left, she could've made a run for it in the early years and become a target of the Empire, but she knew their tricks and they knew her's.

That's how Nora found herself on a ship heading to Tatooine. A desert planet with two suns, much like where any story would begin.