My dearest Mary

A/N: I'm introducing drabbles now too, but not changing this from the one shot collection, because I can't be bothered. Enjoy x

Summary: Capt. James Nicholls wrote to his wife, Mary, back home. Unfortunately his letter arrives too late, as he's killed in action.

~

My dearest Mary,

As I write to you know that I am thinking of you everyday.

I miss waking up next to you. I miss your smile, the way you laugh and the adorable way your nose scrunches up. I miss the loving look in your brown eyes. I miss kissing your soft lips and I miss seeing you writhing underneath me as we make love. But most of all, I miss you with all my heart and soul.

May God bring me back to you soon, my dearest.

All my love

James x

Mary couldn't hold back the tears upon reading her late husband's last letter. She only mere hours ago received word that he was killed in action. The telegram reached her possession before his last letter did.

All these fresh tears came streaming down her face, some landed on his letter. The ink turned into a blotchy mess and made his last words barely readable.

Mary was all alone with the growing child inside her. Three weeks ago was all it was since James married her and the first time he bed her, gifting her the only one she has left in this world. She knew he would have been overjoyed by the news, as that's all he ever wanted, her and a big family. 

Mary continued to sob and put her hand on her belly while clutching James' letter with the other.

"Your father was a hero" she whispered softly through her sobs.