Chapter 11 Promises and Lies

<Cave>

A stream, a soft bed, the embrace of safety, and the flow of food down her mouth. She could feel it all but she wasn't aware of it. For the first time in a long time she felt peace, security, and warmth. It was an addicting feeling that beckoned her to rest in this empty white plane of nothingness. But from time to time three lights would try to disturb her peace. Now those lights were knocking once more. Intents she called them, one was faint gold, small and delicate, another was bright blue, strong and just, and the last one was a mix of purple and black, ominous and off putting. The intents circled around her sleep head trying to rouse her with no success until the gold intent started to fade. She didn't want it to fade, what was it? It was growing dimmer now, why was it dimming? If she didn't reach out right now the intent would die. The other intents didn't help her, they tried to block off this star of gold. So weak and frail but so endearing, she was going to lose it. She was going to lose it forever. Kallen couldn't accept it, the addicting feeling tried to keep her eyes closed but she didn't accept it any more. In a flash she breezed past the other to intents to embrace the one on the brink of fading.

Kallen's eyes shot open in time to see Otto collapse beside her. What a terrible thing to wake up to. Blood flowed from Otto's mouth, his face was marked with stress lines which outlined the filth that was spread all over it. His hair was cut short and messy, it was uneven and choppy, with many dried broken strands. The air of dignity and grace still floated around his gaunt and beat up body but it was dim. Kallen had never seen Otto in such a state. It made her heart bleed once more and tears began to well up in her eyes. Her father collapsed in front of her, falling forward on his face after he paid his life to protect Otto and herself. Now it looked like Otto was dying in the same way. She clambered onto her feet and rolled Otto to his back.

"Otto! Otto!" She shouted. A cry that resounded throughout the entire forest they were in. Desperation, loss, she felt this feeling only once before, when her father died before her eyes. Her hands clasped Otto's shoulders trying to get a response. A small feeling of relief coursed through her body as she realized he was breathing. Shaking hands checked Otto's pulse to reveal it was faint but fast. She quickly took in her surroundings and noticed the small fire Otto had made along with the corpse of a large bear. A horse neighed nearby and on the horse Kallen saw saddle bags. She rummaged through them in a near frantic manner as her Valkyrie training kicked in, calming her down. If she wanted to ensure Otto's life wasn't endangered she had to be calm. She quickly undressed Otto leaving nothing but his underwear on. Instead of finding the source of Otto's new injury she found Otto's body covered in bandages.

'How long have I been asleep? What did I put you through Otto?" Kallen thought, her emotions running a little more than she would like. She hated herself for putting Otto through this hardship. She shouldn't have brought him along. Kaslanas always walked alone because that was the path they chose. To protect the people by sacrificing everything they were. But Kallen couldn't do it, walking alone. It would be more accurate to say that she didn't want to, she wanted her great inventor by her side to fight through it all. Desire was the greatest enemy of the Kaslana faith, the black box glowed ominously within the saddle bags of the horse.

Was it really the Kaslana way to sacrifice one life for the good of all others? The answer would be yes and no. The Kaslana faith didn't give them the right to dictate the lives of others, only protect them. To fight against injustice, all who carried the blood within them could not help but bend their knee to the cause. Even if they acted disillusioned, even if they preferred to focus on their own lives. The call was present at every corner of their lives. It was not wrong to call it a curse.

Kallen parted Otto's bandages to reveal nasty bruises, ghastly cuts, and horrid discoloration. She would treat them all to the best of her ability. Luckily, Otto suffered no broken bones or torn ligaments. His organs may have been slightly bruised but Kallen was going to take care of him until he recovered. She rested Otto's body on the blanket she slept in a few hours ago and laid his head on her lap. Something Otto had done for Kallen many times. He was out of the danger zone right now and she could relax a bit. Though worry coated Kallen's face she could not help but play with Otto's hair. It was straight, short, and scruffy now only reaching to his ears. She liked the new look a bit and it was fun to comb her hands through his hair and explore a new landscape.