Chapter 64 - Loss

I ran out of the house as fast as I could, tripping over the grass in the dark. A few girls laughed at me when I struggled to get in my car. My hands shook with anger as I wiped hot tears from my eyes. I gripped the steering wheel as hard as I could and sped out of the neighborhood. I don't care where I'm going, and I don't care where I end up. This is toxic.

Jack's POV:

I woke up the next morning in- wait, where am I? I squinted at the sunlight shining on me. Oh, god. I think I'm on the lawn in Mack's backyard, I think. Red Solo cups were scattered around the dead green grass. My stomach groaned, and my head throbbed. I really don't remember anything about last night and that scares the shit out of me.

I managed to climb up to my feet and walk into the house. I'm not even sure where my shirt is, but I'm thankful I have on shorts. I opened the sliding door and went into the kitchen.

Oh. My. God.

So this must be a college party. Multiple kids passed out around the house looking like dead bodies, spilled drinks, cups, cans, food everywhere, and it reeked of alcohol and sweaty guys. I plugged my nose and realized that nobody was awake. I panicked when I remembered about my phone, but I quickly felt it in my pocket. I went out into the front and climbed into my Jeep.

My phone buzzed.

8 missed calls. From Paige's dad. I've never felt so terrified in my life.

I pulled up his number and called him. It took about no time before he answered.

"Where is Paige?" He asked.

I shook. "I, I just woke up. I was at a party.. She was here, but she's not inside. Did she not come home?" I looked around, making sure her car wasn't here, and it wasn't.

"No, she did not come home last night and she texted me saying she would be home. Was she drinking?"

I was now filled with anxiety. I really have no idea what happened. "She was drinking something, but I don't know if it was alcohol.. She only had 1 of whatever it was, I'm pretty sure."

"So what do I do then? Huh? Call the police? What were you doing?"

"I don't know!" I defended. "I just woke up, and last night was just- a mess. I'll call her." I hope I didn't sound as horrified as I actually was.

"If we can't find her within the next 3 hours, I'm calling the police. It's 10:20 so if at 1:20 she hasn't been found, then I have to do something."

"I'm really sorry, I'll go out and look and do everything I can. Okay?"

He didn't even say anything, he just hung up. That's never good. Ever.

My heart pounded as I pulled out of the neighborhood, dialing Paige on my phone. No answer. I called again. No answer. Next, I dialed Jack.

"Hey bro." He answered.

"Did Paige call you last night?" I asked.

"Yeah, like right before the party or whatever that thing at Mack's was. Why?"

"Did she call you after that? She's missing. Nobody can get to her." I panicked.

"Are you serious? Oh my god, I didn't know. I'll call her."

"Okay, call me back." I pulled into the parking lot of a kid's park, where nobody was. I needed some time to completely panick in silence.

I called Paige 6 more times, and she didn't answer. I texted her.

J: Paige, are you okay? Call me
I'm worried, really worried...
I love you and if something happened then I'll lose it.

My breathing sped up. This is the worst thing ever. All I can do is wait, and wait, and wait. She has this habit of running away from things, and I just didn't know what she was running from.

Jack J called me.

"Hey, anything?" I asked.

"She won't answer, and she usually always answers me." He said. That statement made me even more nervous. If she has a problem, she'll call Jack J. She usually goes to me, but occasionally she like to talk to Jack and I was completely okay with it. They wouldn't do anything to hurt me and I know it.

I sighed. "Okay, I guess we just have to wait."

He sighed, too. "Keep me updated please."

"I will, see ya."

"See ya."

I put my phone in my lap and looked around. Where could she be? I can't handle not knowing where she is again. She really knows how to scare me.

Paige's POV:

I moved my feet around in the sand, watching the little tide of the lake move up closer and closer to my toes.

I wiped my eyes again, which now weren't permanently crying anymore. But it's only been a few minutes.

I've been sitting here for hours. I've never done something like this, but I've also never seen Jack do something like that. The image ran through my mind again. It was like the incident with Madison, except this time, it's all real. I watched it with my own eyes. And who cares if he was drunk? That's no damn excuse to do something like that.

I sighed and layed down in the sand. It was freezing, and I really don't care that I'm about to have sand stuck in my hair. I looked up at the sky, and tears filled my naked eyes, where the makeup has been washed away. My first love doesn't love me anymore.