Chapter 3

Ingressus exited the portal, Achillean on his back. The Voltaris set Achillean down, letting him lie on the wall. Dread filled him as he noticed his brother's markings were flickering and dangerously dim. His whole body was full of cuts, most of which were still healing. Ingressus didn't know whether to feel guilty for not having been there to stop the other clans from doing this to Achillean or to be grateful he wasn't present to see it happen before his own eyes.

Achillean's weak gaze fell on him, ' Ingressus...' Ingressus couldn't describe how glad he was to hear his voice, even if it was indistinguishable with how raspy it was.

' It's okay, I'm here now... They can't hurt you anymore...' Ingressus assured him, though it felt as if it was more for his own comfort. As Achillean's eyelids started to droop, Ingressus started to panic, afraid his brother would die right in front of him. The Voltaris master hastily looked around in search of the only healer in the camp.

The last of the Voltaris that had joined him came out of the portal, Arion last. The moment he stepped foot in the snow, Arion collapsed forward in exhaustion from not only having to fend off a few other Ardoni back in Nestoria, and also from the frequent use of his Song, but Willa caught him before he could fall face-flat on the ground, ' You okay?' she asked, worry evident in her voice. Arion simply gave her a tired nod. His well being was the least of his worries now.

' How... how many did we...?'

Willa looked away, her expression a mix of sadness and anger, ' We lost Kiran. Another dead by their hands...' she growled lowly.

The healer, Lila, finally emerged from the cave and rushed up to them. She signalled for Arion to rest, and then started tending to everyone else's injuries. No one got majorly hurt - thanks to them attacking with the element of surprise and the warriors in Nestoria having been more occupied with getting people to safety from the fire - so all it took was a couple uses of Proteheal and they were good to go. Though when her eyes landed on Achillean, she stifled a frown. Either because of his clan colour or injuries... Ingressus wished it was the first.

Lila gestured for Ingressus to leave them, to which Ingressus was hesitant to, not wanting to have Achillean out of his sight again after what happened the first time. But when Lila signed something Ingressus didn't really understand, she looked a little annoyed, so he decided to comply, and walked away.

Seeing Ingressus confused, Willa explained, ' She's saying she needs to be alone so she can fully concentrate. A champion raided her camp, she barely made it out alive, losing her voice in the process.' Ingressus didn't know what to say. All along, he thought he had it rough, when he was actually the lucky one. Not only had he survived mostly unscathed, in Nestoria, he always had enough to eat, and the cold was never a problem. Willa narrowed her eyes at him, ' Arion may trust you because of Voltar and your father, but you'll need to prove to us that you deserve to hold it.'

' I will...' Ingressus told her, ' I will do whatever it takes to save the Voltaris clan from exile and slaughter...'

Satisfied with his answer, Willa leaves, ' Your Nestoris friend better be worth Kiran's life. If he dares to try anything, I won't hesitate to draw my blade across his throat.'

/A/N/ This is why you don't blast an already injured Ardoni with Aggroblast, even if you're trying to hit the two people carrying him.

~*~

Aegus took a slow step forward, nearing the last stone slab. Buried below it, lay a Nestoris he had once known, a victim of the attack. Nestor felt heavy as he lifted it up, gently touching the gravestone with the tip of the staff. A ring sounded as the diamond and stone made contact, a yellow light starting to spread from the top, forming a pattern as it inched to every corner of the stone. The markings that once glowed on an Ardoni, now could only shine on a gravestone.