17.

THE SANDLOT!CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

THE SANDLOT!
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

the gritty feeling of his drying eyes is enough to indicate he's been at it for hours. it's careless of him, but he can't manage to get the shootball out of his head. that paired up with miyuki's words was enough to keep him on edge.

but it's fine. he was on bed rest for a day and a half. this pent up energy has to be released on something anyways.

katsu flexes his fingers, readjusting his grip on the metal bat. he exhales through his mouth, ignoring the burning of his thighs as he gets into position. the indoor training facility is vacant, has been for a while now. it's only him and the humming pitching machine before him. he fixes his gaze on the opening and doesn't stray.

there's a minute interval between each ball, giving him enough time to pull back and settle.

his eyes narrow as it darts out and speeds towards him. the angle of the ball is daunting, but he squashes down the urge to step back. it's no use. exhaustion makes his swing stutter, and in his surprise he lets go of the bat. it hits the metal cage behind him, and the clatter resonates throughout the empty space.

"crap." katsu harshly sighs, wiping away the sweat gathering above his brow. perhaps it really is time to put this to an end. before he can even gather his bearings, the sound of the machine winding down stops him. a tinge of fear creeps up his spine as he inwardly curses his luck.

has coach kataoka come to reprimand him for being out here so late?

he risks a glance over his shoulder and almost weeps in relief at the sight of miyuki. if it were coach he's pretty sure he'd be digging his own grave by now. settling a hand on his chest, katsu wills his poor heart to slow down.

"its past curfew." miyuki grouses, and katsu doesn't need to turn around to know he's unimpressed. "is it now?" he purposely drawls his words as he removes his batting gloves. the cool night air feels like heaven on his sweaty palms.

katsu bends at the waist, biting down a wince as he reaches down to grab his bat. "if i had known this is how you'd react, i wouldn't have told you at all." the catcher says as if he wasn't the one who intentionally sought him out that night.

"you're lying and we both know it."

a hand joins his on the handle, calloused fingers easily removing the bat from his loose grip. katsu startles, suddenly very aware of the broad chest against his back. it feels like he's been zapped awake, and he swallows roughly.

miyuki towers over him, sharp amber eyes quickly catching his once katsu looks up. "you should be resting." he finds it hard to say anything back. was it even possible to forget words exist? katsu merely furrows his brows, pursing his lips as he looks away.