18.

THE SANDLOT!CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

THE SANDLOT!
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"i heard from benjiro that you made your baseball debut today," his mom's lilting voice is staticky through the phone speaker, filling him with warm familiarity. katsu is sprawled across the bench, the ridges digging uncomfortably into his back. he's sure there's splinters on his back by now.

"i wish i heard it from my own son, but i know how he gets when it comes to baseball." she teases as his dad says something inaudible in the background.

katsu hums around a smile, "i promise i'll let you know next time i play ma." higashi keiko snorts haughtily, muttering under her breath about the forgetful men in her life. a giggle leaves his mouth at her ramble, wishing more than anything that he was there to tuck his head under her chin.

"now tell me all about the game, i'm putting you on speaker."

he idly recalls the game, the tension that seemed to thicken the longer it went on. he tells them about todoroki raichi, about furuya's pitching and miyuki's calls, and sawamura's flawless performance.

how the sun felt on his back as he walked up to the batter's box as they announced his name over the intercom.

"pinch hitting for the sixth batter and catcher, higashi katsu."

the announcement echoes throughout the stadium, and there's a brief silence of confusion. it's an abrupt change, one that ultimately makes everyone question seido's decision. their catcher could've used those few critical seconds to read and understand this new pitcher.

katsu doesn't let this rattle him. no, he was brought in for one thing only. something that coach kataoka entrusted him with.

to shut down the sudden onslaught of jubilant cheer and relief from yakushi.

which meant bringing tetsuya and masuko back home.

he drags his cleats through the loose dirt before falling into his usual batting position. sanada's dark eyes are sharp from where they're peaking above his glove as they make eye contact. confidence lingers in the broad lines of his shoulders and arms, painting a pretty picture of ease. 

this pitcher doesn't feel a fragment of intimidation.

unbeknownst to sanada, it was enough to shift the tides to his favor.

as sanada starts his windup, katsu allows himself to further relax. he's seen it over a thousand times in video. he knows exactly how far back his pitching arm goes and the large step forward he takes.