Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

Nine Years Ago

I watch my mother-in-law as she tenderly wipes at Tyler's cheek, removing a little crumb as she smiles at him. He, in turn, allows her to treat him like some little boy who can't wipe his own face after he eats.

We are all seated in the dining room, having lunch, and though the idea of a family meal together is usually something to look forward to, I absolutely dread this.

It's been one year since our surprising, court house wedding; what a wonderful way to be celebrating one's first anniversary. Tyler's parents choose not to directly communicate with me, nor do they feel the need to. They are aware of the circumstances that led their beloved son to that sad, uneventful day when he was forced to marry me.

So, they never question it. Their disapproval is a giant cloud hovering over me on a daily basis, but eventually, even I become used to it.

This is all just the new normal; this is my life, and I roll with it.

He has just returned from finishing his first year at college. Surrounded by his doting parents, Tyler can't seem to stop talking about his college experience. All the new things he's learning, accompanied by the new friends he's made.

I awoke earlier to the news of his arrival, and instead of feeling any excitement or relief I had taken my sweet time getting ready before coming down to join them all at the table.

Similar to what he's doing now, he had been stuffing his face with his mother's cooked food and ecstatically sharing his new adventures with his parents. He might have looked at me once, I'm not too sure, but if he did, it was just for a second.

I feel a bitterness growing inside me. I want to taunt him, say something nasty and watch his mouth open so he can continue to look at me stupidly with all that food falling out of his mouth and onto his plate. Then his mother can fuss over him again. I envision the whole thing.

Unfortunately, I say nothing.

He hasn't even asked me how I am. He hasn't mentioned the baby. All he seems to fucking care about is himself. Does he realize it's been one whole year since he married me?

I take a bite of the croissant that I've placed in the middle of my otherwise empty plate, feeling more invisible now with them all around me, than I did earlier when I was all alone in my room.

"Well, well... would you look at that? Tyler Evans has returned."

All faces turn towards the sarcastic voice, as Kelly comes swaying into the room with her signature drink in hand. She smiles at me when she sees me, and I see in her eyes that it is a genuine smile, unlike her usual ones. I smile back.

She sits right next to me, a habit I've become accustomed to, and even find myself looking forward to. My sister-in-law, unliked by everyone in this entire town it seems, is someone I like very much. She was the first person to acknowledge me in this house after Tyler left for college.

She is also the only person to ever mourn my loss with me. The memories haunt me on a nightly basis, having lost the baby just a few months back. Tyler was notified later that week, when the prescribed medication had numbed my pain enough for me to ask for him. His mother had casually told me he declined to come home until his semester was up.

"Nice to see you too, Kelly." Tyler's equally sarcastic reply brings me out of my thoughts.

His parents continue with their lunch, acting as if she hasn't entered the room and sat down with us. Another invisible person, for them, this is the norm.