Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

Present Day

Sundays in Beaufort are different, with almost every habitant of the town out and about running their weekend errands. It is also one of the worst days for someone like me to be out.

I feel the familiar suffocation as I weave my way through the crowd, trying to keep my head down as I rub against several shoulders and bump into too many bodies to keep count of.

Eventually, I see a friendly smile and rush my way towards the stall with my bag clutched to my side.

"Ms. Evans! So good to see you in town, it's been too long, hasn't it?"

I smile back at Harold, the older, and very cheerful gentleman in front of me. He has owned this exact stall in this exact spot for longer than I've lived, and prior to marrying Tyler, my mother often brought me along with her to purchase fresh produce from here.

"I wasn't feeling well the last few weeks, Harold, I'm sorry. But I'm better now and thought I'd come by for some groceries" I explain.

He smiles again and starts to fill up a basket with the same produce we have purchased from him for years. It is a routine I look forward to. I stand and watch him and feel the sun's warmth hit my arms and back and bask in its comfort. There is even more comfort in knowing that as long as I'm here, no one will bother me or look at me. Harold won't allow it.

"Here you go, Missy." He gestures the basket closer to me and I take a step forward, opening the bag I've brought with me so he can empty the contents of his basket into it.

Once I've settled the payment, I take a deep breath and wave Harold goodbye, praying internally that I can rush my way back through the crowd and into my car. Today out of all days, I do not want to be noticed.

I put my head back down and start to move back in the direction I came, and it isn't far before someone grabs my elbow, causing me to drop my bag.

I gasp and turn around.

"Caroline Evans. Haven't seen you in town for a while."

Fuck.

I swallow and try to calm myself down. The lady holding onto my arm is none other than Marilynn Thomas, the wives of one of Richard Evans' business partner's and closest friend. She is also a slimy, conniving bitch.

"Mrs. Thomas, how are you?" I mumble, gently nudging my arm until she realizes and eases her deathly grip on my elbow.

I pull my arm back quickly when she does, and look up to make eye contact with her, though I regret this instantly.

"I'm perfectly well, Caroline, thank you. But I must say, I'm very surprised to see you here today. Where did I see you last? Ah, yes-Richard's celebration, was it?"

The gleam in her eyes tells me she knows exactly what she's doing. I know what she is implying and I feel my anxiety creep its way up as I begin to fidget uncomfortably.

Marilynn Thomas was at the party that night, the night Kelly was escorted out and the night every single eye in the room glared at me with hateful judgment. I shiver just thinking about it now.

Even though a number of days have passed since that incident, it was only a matter of time before word travelled throughout town. And in this case, it was a lot worse, since Marilynn was present at the scene and had seen it all unfold with her own eyes.

"Yes, that's right" I reply.

I have nothing more to say to her, and I'm sure she can see how uncomfortable she is making me. It doesn't matter, however; it never matters. They love this, watching me squirm.