characters.

BIANCA LAURA ISABEL DELA ROSA Y FUENTES

The novel's protagonist. First child & only daughter of Don Dario dela Rosa and Doña Angelina Fuentes. Mestiza with Austronesian, Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese heritage, who is currently betrothed to Eugenio Escudero.

THÉODORE AURÈLE MONGEAU.
The adoptive son of Monsieur and Madame Mongeau. Pure Vietnamese, but grew up adapting to French culture & customs.

EUGENIO ESCUDERO Y COVARRUBIAS.
Bianca's childhood 'lover' and current fiancé. Youngest son of Señor Escudero and his wife. Is set to move temporarily to Madrid for his studies. Referred to as "Eugenio dela Basura y del Infierno" by Evita and her mother, Doña Juana.

GLORIA EVITA DE AYALA Y MADRIGAL.
Bianca's best friend; daughter of Doña Juana Madrigal and her third husband, Don Julio de Ayala. Favoured by many people for her delicate beauty & sweet disposition.

ENRIQUE MARIANO DELA ROSA Y FUENTES.
Bianca's younger brother; the only son & second child of Don Dario and Doña Angelina. Has a knack for baking empanadas.

DOÑA ANGELINA MARIANA FUENTES CASTELBLANCO DELA ROSA.
Mother of Bianca and Enrique, wife of Don Dario dela Rosa, and daughter of the highly-respected Señor Fuentes. Mestiza filipina with Spanish & Japanese ancestry.

DON DARIO EMILIO DELA ROSA Y JERÓNIMO.
Father of Bianca and Enrique, husband of Doña Angelina, and youngest son of a Spanish nobleman and a chinita. Is of Spanish, Chinese, and Filipino descent. Very wealthy yet very frivolous.

INIGO ANTONIO DEL ROSARIO Y CABALLERO.
Close friend of Bianca, love interest of Evita. Mestizo filipino from an upper middle class family. Has Spanish and Latin American ancestry.

JACOBO CHENG SANTIAGO.
The son of an india filipina and a Chinese merchant. Close friend of Bianca.

DOÑA ESTEFANÍA SALOMÉ JUÁREZ FUENTES DE MONTERO DE TREVIÑO.
Doña Angelina's cousin and best friend. Known for being a member of the prestigious Fuentes clan and an absolute lasingera. Has been widowed twice, yet remains childless.

DOÑA JUANA VICTORINA MADRIGAL SALVATIERRA DE ESPADAÑA DE LACSON DE AYALA DE ARGÜELLO DE MIRAMONTES.
Close friend of Doña Angelina and Doña Estefanía; mother to Evita de Ayala and Maribela de Espadaña. Extremely wealthy mestiza from Cébu whose notoriety derives from her five marriages.

PEDRO JOAQUIN ALFONSO CALONSOR Y VALENCIANO.
Close friend of the three doñas; second-degree cousin of Doña Juana. Hails from a wealthy & religious family and has resided in Germany for a few years for his studies. A priest with unorthodox habits.

JAIRO MARCELO ARCÁNGEL.
An indio filipino who grew up without a father. Humble servant to the Madrigal family; is rumoured to have had an affair with both Doña Juana's sister & daughter, Doña Anastacia Madrigal and Maribela de Espadaña.

ALBERTO JACINTO ABRIGO Y FORTEZ.
Is one of the few indios with a higher position in society due to his close relations with the Madrigal clan. Possible love interest of Jairo Arcángel.

DIANA VAN BUREN.
A German noblewoman who catches Estefanía's eye upon the latter's stay in Europe. They are implied to be secret lovers.

DOÑA ANASTACIA AGUSTINA MADRIGAL SALVATIERRA DE HERNANDEZ.
Younger sister to Doña Juana, older sister to Doña Catalina. Adores her nieces, Maribela and Evita, very much. Rumoured to have had an affair with Jairo Arcángel.

DOÑA CATALINA LEONORA MADRIGAL SALVATIERRA DE TREVEJO DE CIENFUEGOS DE GUERRERO DE ORTÍZ DE LUCERO DE LÓPEZ DEL GRANADO.
Youngest of the three Madrigal sisters. Notorious for her promiscuity and the fact that she has more failed marriages than her eldest sister. Is said to be involved in a romantic affair with a Chinese merchant.

MARIA ISABELA "MARIBELA" DE ESPADAÑA Y MADRIGAL.
First child of Doña Juana and older half-sister to Evita. Presumed to have had an affair with Jairo Arcángel in spite of their 20-year age gap. Also acts as an older sister figure to Bianca.

THOMAS ALPHONSE MONGEAU.
Théodore's French adoptive father. Member of the Indochinese Supreme Council and a consultant of the Governor-General in French Indochina.

MARIE THERESE MONGEAU.
Monsieur Mongeau's wife and Théodore's adoptive mother. Currently residing in Paris.

ROMAN ANTOINE ABELARD.
Théodore's close friend and possible love interest from France.

NGUYEN HANH MAI.
Théodore's childhood friend in Hanoi. Suspected to be romantically attached to him.

CARMELA JOSEFÍNA ESCUDERO Y COVARRUBIAS.
Older sister of Eugenio and first-born child of Señor and Señora Escudero.

ALEJANDRO BARTOLO ESCUDERO Y COVARRUBIAS.
Older brother of Eugenio, younger brother of Carmela, and second-born child of Señor and Señora Escudero.