1: Separated - Part 1

What if: The Pevensies had been separated

-------------------

"We - We won't be separated will we?"

Peter turned his stare from Edmund to Lucy, taking a deep breath at the worry on her face. "No Lu," He breathed after a while of silence. "I won't let that happen." 

Edmund rolled his eyes and turned back to the window, watching as the train continued on its way, heading towards the station they were to get off at, and the closer they got, the harder his heart pounded. 

After about an hour more, the train began slowing down, and it was then that Peter snapped his book shut and stood. "Come on." He breathed. "Grab your stuff, this is our stop."

The station wasn't overly busy, Edmund reckoned he could count around twenty adults hurrying this way and that, heading over to children that were stepping off the train. 

Lucy kept a tight hold of Peter's hand, and even Edmund stayed close, trying not to let on how worried he was at the thought of being separated from his siblings.

It wasn't long before the four were approached by an elderly couple, both with small smiles on their faces and quite clearly from the countryside. 

"Hello." The women said, a happy tone to her voice. 

Peter swallowed hard. "Hello." He practically whispered, before clearing his throat and trying again. 

The women smiled sadly at him, before glancing down at Lucy, having not yet acknowledged Susan or Edmund seeming as they were stood behind. "What's your name?" She asked gently. 

Lucy hesitated before taking a deep breath. "Lucy." She said quietly. 

The old man chuckled. "Aren't you sweet." He murmured to himself. 

"And yours?" The women asked, looking back up at Peter. 

"Peter, ma'am." Peter replied, holding tightly onto Lucy's hand. 

"Well, Peter, Lucy, how would you like to come and stay with us for the time being?" The women said with a bright smile. 

Peter froze, before taking a deep breath. "My siblings?" He questioned. 

The man glanced behind him at Susan and Edmund, before sighing. "We've only got room for two I'm afraid," He told him. "We only live in a small cottage, even two would be a bit of a squeeze." 

Peter nodded slowly. "Right." He whispered, before turning to Susan, only to see her talking to a girl around her age, who was stood next to a women. 

She turned once she'd finished the conversation, and locked eyes with Peter. "We both knew we'd be separated Peter." She sighed. "Why don't we try and make the best of it? You and Lucy go, this women here has politely said I can stay with her, plus, her daughter seems really nice."