2: Separated - part 2

It had been a week since Edmund had been taken away from his siblings, and he wasn't fairing well at all.

He despised waking up at 6:30 every morning, hated what he was given to eat, hated how easily bored he got, he just hated everything.

He was currently sat outside tending to the seeds he'd planted his first day, hoping and praying they'd actually produce vegetables, because he would be extremely annoyed if they didn't, and Mrs.Davis would be too.

Sighing and wiping the sweat from his forehead, Edmund glared murderously up at the sun, which was currently blaring down on him, but of course glaring at it didn't do anything, so he turned back to his task, his stomach growling.

Food wasn't exactly the best in this place, and wasn't exactly served as often as Edmund would like, every morning was a struggle to make it until lunch, especially after the porridge he'd forced down in the morning, which he seemed to have every morning. Lunch was the same every time too, a chunk of cheese with some bread and butter and a glass of water, not the most appetising of meals, but it filled a whole... for around an hour. The hours he spent alone in his room in the afternoon seemed to drag, and it felt like he was in there for days at a time sometimes, but the night times were the worse, he would lay awake for hours, which probably wasn't a good idea, but he just found it so, so hard to sleep.

He'd find himself laying in bed at one o'clock in the morning, his back and neck already stiff from the hard mattress, wishing he was with his siblings, sometimes he'd even find tears rolling down his cheeks, which he didn't even bother to wipe a way anymore.

His head snapped up when the backdoor opened and Mrs.Davis marched over. "Can I trust you to go into town and pick up the groceries I need?" She asked, stopping in front of him.

Edmund raised an eyebrow, could she trust him?

"Don't look at me like that." Mrs.Davis snapped, handing him a short shopping list and some money. "I'd hurry up, only an hour until lunch, town is clearly signposted, you can't get lost, now go."

Edmund sighed, standing and taking the list, brushing off his shorts before heading up to his room quickly.

He glanced around to see if Mrs.Davis had followed him, and after he saw that she hadn't, he grabbed the address of where Peter was staying, grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil before hurrying out the house and off into town.

Mrs.Davis was right, there was no getting lost, so on the way he struggled to scribble a short letter to his older brother, knowing Peter was probably worrying himself sick because he hadn't heard from him in a week, and if it wasn't for the situation he was in, Edmund wouldn't of bothered.

He reached town in twenty minutes and hurried to gather the few groceries on Mrs.Davis' list, before hesitantly heading to the post office.

There was some money left over, and he knew he'd probably get into trouble if he spent it, but he needed to send this letter, and he didn't have his own money for stamps, so he had no choice.

He slipped the letter into an envelope, bought a stamp and posted it before quickly heading back to the house, praying that Mrs.Davis wouldn't realise he'd spent more money than he had too.

He entered the house and put the groceries away, leaving the rest of the money on the kitchen counter before heading upstairs to wash up, heading back downstairs for lunch and arriving at one minute past one.

He waited impatiently for food, his stomach empty by this point, which is why he was so disappointed when Mrs.Davis placed a plate with a single slice of bread on it in front of him.