Chapter 2

[Real Life]

(Y/N)

-

   Hearing the soft click of the keyhole's mechanism falling into place, (Y/N) took a tentative step away from their doorstep. They had decided to leave their house for once, bracing themselves for the raw, sharp, cold of the winter. A gust of wind blew past, ruffling their hair playfully like a parent does to their child.

   Shivering slightly, their nose and cheeks grew rosy, unused to the outside world. Their ears burned underneath their earmuffs as a scarf was pulled up high in an attempt at covering up even more. A second scarf had been strewn upon the first one, looking ridiculous over the already puffy feathered coat and soft, tall boots that went up to their knees. The small amount of black legging that peeked through was desperately covered up by pitiful attempts at dragging their coat down.

   Beginning a slow walk, (Y/N) started making their way in a faintly familiar direction. The houses that lined every street seemed desolate, with the occasional paint chip and missing shingle adorning almost every single house. The stone brick streets went on for ages with a thin, dead pasture in-between the lanes. A lanky tree with somber, hanging branches was the only one in sight, sitting around two houses down.

   Turning a corner, they let out a sigh, only seeing a simple town green, no grocery store in sight. Jumping at the sound of snow falling off a rooftop nearby, they rubbed their arms loosely up and down, wishing they had just stayed inside and accepted their usual delivery. But no, of course they wanted to see something new.

   The sounds of people made their way into their ears as they began to wander into the simple pasture, a small family of 2 sledding nearby. (Y/N) remembered the adult as the senior who sat in the back of the classroom and snorted glue that one time. It was nice to see their ex-classmates living happily, even if the distant memory of their partner being murdered a few years back lingered, acting as a warning. 'Being a single parent must be terrifying.'

   Shrinking back into their head, (Y/N) began zoning out, their thoughts melancholy and grim. 'Why is Winter always so cold!?' they thought, blissfully unaware. Their house was seemingly always warm, but they could always feel the cold from outside anytime they touched a window. Many nights of seeing the frost build up had flown by, and now they were on the verge of graduating in the spring.

   But of course, while the planet seemed to slow down, they were still forced to study. At least, they liked to pretend they did. After all, if you have no parents, who's around to tell you to study in the first place?

   Forcing themselves back into reality as they realized they had lost track of where they were going, (Y/N) noticed that they were no longer in the snowy pasture, but were instead walking right by an alleyway.

   Hearing the sounds of struggle, they rushed into the entrance of they alleyway only to be greeted by the sight of someone with an axe meeting their forehead. The gruesome slosh as blood coated every surface nearby brought a hand to their mouth, unable to move any other part of their body.

   As the axe came out and around, the blood trailing from the cadavers side and from further inside the dusty alleyway brought attention to the young person standing there.

   Bright orange goggles shone from the small amount of sun that made its way into the crack between business buildings, the reflection shockingly bright compared to how dim everything else around seemed to be. Fluffy hair surrounded their head in a chocolate brown halo, a dark mask covering their facial features. They had a loosely fitting hoodie on, seemingly a dark ashy tan. Large stripes were visible on the sleeves, and a hood was laying on their shoulders. Tan khakis were on their legs, with long white socks going up to around the middle of their lower leg. Faded, bright red sneakers were on their feet, their laces untied.