02 : go home

"TWO WEEKS DETENTION, AFTER SCHOOL." My eyes pop out of my socket.

"But ma'am, I have lacrosse practice. I have a huge game this Tuesday." The urge to stomp on his foot increases when Kamil acts as if he is the only important player.

"Yeah, I also have to practice."

Ms Blatt rolls her eyes at us, "I am sure someone can fill in for both of you in the meantime. You should have thought about it before you disturbed my entire class."

Come on, Qureshi! Use your teacher's pet pixie dust and fucking swoon, Ms Blatt, already.

Kamil's grey eyes turn glassy and he speaks in the voice that will even make me pity him, "Ma'am, please. This is very important. Avery is the team captain and both of us need to participate in the match. It is the game that decides whether we go to the semifinals or not."

Ms Blatt smiles, "Oh, did our school not get into the semifinals in the first place because of your mistakes?"

I squeezed my eyes shut for a beat, "We will do whatever you want us to as long as it does not interfere with our lacrosse practices. We will be on kitchen duty!" Kamil stomps his foot over mine, his eyes alarming on the words kitchen duty. I pinch his leg to shut him up.

"No, I do not need you on kitchen duty. There is an activity that is due next month. What about you both hand it to me by this Saturday? A slideshow in front of the entire class. Good enough?"

Kamil and I started, "But—"

"Or you can spend your time in detention. Pick your partner and start it. Now leave my classroom."

I run a hand through my hair when we get out of the class. A vein pops out of Kamil's forehead, this has got to be good. The project is about that we have to pick a city or town and write briefly about how it was fifteen years ago. And there is no one anyone will agree to partner with me, especially not when the deadline of the presentation for the entire class is next fucking month. At least, this is better than warming benches and getting dirty looks from everyone.

Kamil's jaw is locked tight, a good thing I speak without thinking or I might just have kept my mouth shut all the time. My voice stops him from moving, "Kamil, what if we did the assignment together?"

"What?" I expected him to react the same way.

I shrugged, "I mean that no one will partner with us at this moment, since they have like an entire month to do it. So what if we partner with each other?"

Kamil let out a rough laugh, I have to tilt my face to look into his eyes when we are standing. "Are you kidding with me, Ramos? Are you that out of your mind?"

"What do you mean—"

"Listen, just because we made out as a mistake, does not mean that we are now friends. I still dislike your guts with the same passion as before. You are the reason I have to go through this and you were the reason why we lost the game. I will rather do the project happily alone, than with a person like you." I clench my fist at his words. Who knew Kamil Qureshi is also so good at spitting out venom? I really should have thought before speaking.

VALERIE KNOWS SOMETHING IS UP. Of course, she does. Even I know my tells, I am that obvious. She pouts a little without my greeting when she comes home. Her brown hairs are tied in a ponytail in such a bad manner that it looks like she has not combed in forever. It might probably be true since I have rarely seen her getting ready in six months. Even though she might have blue bags under her eyes, she asks me about my day while ruffling my hair. Just because she doesn't take care of her hair, doesn't mean I don't. I swat her hands away from me while she drops her bags on the floor. But there is a certain smile on her face and I bet it has something to do with the person who dropped her home in their fancy car.