Chapter 7

Officially, Jade visited Midnight Moon to answer any questions they might have, and to inquire whether Ryleigh had reached out. The chances of that were nihil – Ryleigh wasn't that stupid – but then that was only the reason she had given Aaron so that he would let her go. In truth, she simply yearned to be among people who, though not nearly to the same extent, had known and cared for Ryleigh.

Back at the castle, Ryleigh and Corbin vied over the top spot on Andior's most-wanted list. Aaron and Alder were the only ones there who had more than a passing acquaintance with Ryleigh, and neither of them liked her – for which Jade could hardly blame them. First impressions weren't Ryleigh's strong suit. Still, it hurt Jade to have to hear them slander her kin day in, day out.

Nor did it help that she was pressured from all sides to help the royals. Everyone seemed to have gotten it in their heads that if only Jade lent her assistance, the whole war would be over before it had started. Jade knew better. She knew that there wasn't anything she could tell them that would get them anywhere. Corbin was smarter than that. Whatever Jade knew about them was exactly what they wouldn't do.

What also didn't help was that since Ryleigh's grand escape, staff was even more afraid of Jade than they'd already been. Word of her reluctance to assist had leaked almost instantly, and most people assumed she was secretly aiding her people – leaking them information so they could stay out of harm's way. They figured that Corbin publicly disowning her had been planned so it would seem as though there was bad blood between them, while in fact they were thick as thieves. Little did they know that to Corbin she had died an dishonourable death. He had been serious when he denied her as his blood. She was dead to him. She was dead to all of them.

She held out some hope that Ryleigh didn't hate her as much as the others did, but she knew that was wishful thinking. In all likelihood, Ryleigh hated her more. After all, Jade was the one who had gotten her arrested. She had screwed things up with them forever. There was no going back, and yet there was no going forwards either. She had lost her home, and yet she couldn't make a home in the castle. The Royal Wolves hated her as much as the Shadow Walkers did, and she didn't like them much better. The only good thing she had going for her was Aaron, but she could tell he didn't understand why she wouldn't help them. He wanted her to hand him the Shadow Walkers on a silver (pun intended) platter. It wasn't that easy.

A long story short, she just had to get away from the castle for a while, and Midnight Moon was the only place she could persuade Aaron to let her go. Since Ryleigh had used the tunnels to sneak into the castle, Alder had stationed guards in front of every single one. There was no escape.

Danny, the eighteen-year-old enthusiastic, and Travis, who was, strictly seen, past his prime, were her guards for the day. Aaron had wanted her to increase her number of guards – and he would have especially loved to add some of his own to the mix – but she had refused.

"Am I supposed to bow for you now?" Conall asked, admitting her into the mansion upon her arrival.

"Please don't," Jade said. "Have I come at a good time?" It was a little after noon. Back at the castle, the council, Alder, and Aaron were gathering for another one of their endless meetings. It was all they seemed to do lately.

"You're a royal now," Conall said. He pushed a few locks of his reddish brown hair out of his face, casting a glance over his shoulder as he led her into the parlour. "Whether it's a good time or not doesn't matter. People will make time. I'll link the others."

"I'm not a royal," Jade said, following him. Conall offered her a drink, but she declined and sat down on one of the sofas.

"You're Aaron's mate, and when your father showed up to save Ryleigh, you didn't go with them. That means you're one of the royals. Live with it." He sat down on the edge of a chair, wiggling his legs as though he had never been more uncomfortable to be alone in a room with someone. It was almost amusing to see that mountain of a man, with his strong, haughty features, so nervous at the sight of her petite person.