Chapter 1

"Hello?"

"Huh-"

Sasuke immediately snapped out of his thoughts. Well shit, he got distracted with the mere mention of her name. He hears her cough awkwardly at the other side of the call.

"Sir, is something wrong that made you call our hotline?"

"Oh, well..." he tried to speak, but couldn't. Every negative thought went away the moment he heard her voice. "Nevermind, I forgot what I wanted to say."

"Is this some kind of prank?" Sakura asked, an annoyed tone evident in her voice. The time they wasted could've helped others who's in actual need, and yet she sat in silence with a boy who had the audacity to say 'nevermind'.

Sasuke couldn't blame her, because who in their right mind would call a hotline only to forget what they were supposed to say?

Once more he heard her click her tongue, as if telling him that he has yet to answer the question. Laughing nervously, he responded.

"It's not a prank, I swear. Your voice caught me off guard...but in a good way I think?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Hearing your voice made me forget my problems."

No response, Sasuke internally screamed. 'As if it wasn't awkward enough!'

"Is that so..." Sakura mumbles, "If that's the case, do you want me to accompany you for the next 30 minutes then?"

'If he claims that my...voice can calm him then I suppose it won't be bad to stay a little longer, right?' she thought. As weird as it sounds for her, at least she can help the stranger, even for just a while.

"That...would be nice." She hears him say, and from his tone alone she can feel that he's relieved.

And as promised, they spent the next 30 minutes making small talk, with Sakura comforting him the moment Sasuke revealed his reason for calling the hotline in the first place was due to his brother's passing, he found it difficult to grieve and needed someone to talk about his sorrows.

Situations like these are very common for Sakura, but in Sasuke's case, she could feel her heart grieve too as she listens to him recall memories of him and his late sibling. It's clear as day that they loved each other dearly.

Before they knew it, their time was up.

"I have to hang up, will you be okay?" She asks.

'No.' is what Sasuke wanted to say, but he understands that she's doing her job. He can't afford to be selfish when there are lives at risk. But he also can't afford to lose contact with her.

"I think I will, but..." he hesitates. "Will there be a chance where I can talk to you again?"

"Well, not likely if you call through this hotline." she says, "I can give my number if you want?"

"I'd like that." Sasuke smiles, Sakura chuckles as she dictates her number while Sasuke types it in his notes. She normally doesn't give away her contact information, especially towards a stranger, but he's an exception.

They say their goodbyes and she ends the call. Releasing a big sigh, she continues her shift.

Sasuke stares at the ceiling in his room, then to his phone, then back at the ceiling, then to his phone–

"Argh!" He pinched the bridge of his nose, and once more looked at his phone. He repeatedly reads the contact's name.

Sakura.