4. Unleashing the Beast

 It is hypocritical to blame Steve Rogers when she couldn't imagine blaming her ex-partner for her hellish childhood. Malka doesn't care as she and Steve march through the halls, a HYDRA weapon in his grasp.

"What is Phase 2?" Malka hears Tony ask as she and Steve walk into the lab.

She stays by the door as Steve slams the weapon down, saying, "Phase 2 is SHIELD uses the Cube to make weapons. Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for me."

Fury sighs and looks back at them. "Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're—"

"I'm sorry, Nick," Tony says, swinging a screen forward with weapons blueprints. "What were you lying?"

Steve narrows his eyes, and it almost makes Malka's dislike for him dampen. "I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit."

Malka looks back as Natasha and Thor walk in. She discreetly places a hand over the gun at her hip as Banner narrows his eyes, his gaze darting between the two agents. "Did you two know about this?"

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?" Natasha asks.

His laugh sounds bitter. "I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed."

"Loki's manipulating you."

"And you've been doing what, exactly?"

Natasha sighs. "You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy." He grips the screen. "I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

Fury motions to Thor, sending a very quick look to Malka. "Because of him."

And you. Fury doesn't need to say it.

"Me?" Thor asks.

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, out-gunned."

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet."

"But you're not the only people out there, are you? And, you're not the only threat." This time, it becomes very clear to everyone in the room who exactly Fury means as he eyes each of his so-called Avengers. "The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled."

"Like you controlled the Cube?" Steve demands.

Her skin crawls as she shakes her head. "Control," she mutters. "What a joke."

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki and his allies," Thor says. "It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war."