Chapter 5

I woke up to another day in beautiful Manhattan. That's a lie. I got out of bed, got dressed and left for a suit shop seen as today is my day off. Being at work for the last week and not getting a chance to properly breathe has been stressful but fun.

I arrived and went inside. "Sorry but we don't sell to kids," the guy at the desk said "but I buy from adults, so should I go somewhere else with my money?" I replied "have a look around but no touching if you're not gonna buy," he said and I began looking at the suits. It didn't take long for me to find a suit I like and each piece costs $2500 for some reason. I continued looking and I was soon done, I picked up all the things I wanted and paid much to the guy's surprise. I realised that it cost $10,000 but paid nonetheless and left.

I went home and got a call. "Hello?" "Hi Brian, get into the office now you're needed," Louis ordered and hung up. I groaned and put on one of my new suits before heading out again.

I arrived at work and saw Louis was stood at the door. "What's up?" I asked "first of all, I'm glad you got a new suit. Second, your rookie dinner is on Friday and I needed to tell you the things not to have there," Louis said and handed me a list, I read it despite being confused, "why would I not have any of these things?" I asked but got a phone call, and looked to see it's my father "sorry I gotta take this it's my father," I said and walked away a it before answering.

"Father, how are you?" I asked "not good considering you stole my client!" He yelled "s-sorry, I didn't know they were yours. Are you talking about Google or KFC?" I asked "GOOGLE YOU MORON!" He practically roared making me flinch a little "I demand you give them back," he added "I-I can't just give you our client, you'll have to talk to Jessica about that," I replied "I already tried but she said to talk to you, I'm getting on a plane to New York in the morning we'll talk about it then," he scowled and hung up. "Hey you okay Brian?" Louis asked "my father is flying to New York because I took his client without realising he was their lawyer, so no," I explained "well he can't be that great for his own son to steal his client," "he's a managing partner at one of the best law firms in England Louis, I'm such a shit son," I groaned "well you're a damn good lawyer from what I've seen so far. We're a family at PearsonHardman and if he's attacking you then he's attacking the firm, do you know any of your father's patterns?" "Yeah I know a few, so what he'll likely do is either sue the firm or disown me. Both of those are very bad," I stated "wait... he'll disown you? Why would he do that?" "I've never exactly been the son he's wanted, I-" "Louis, you're needed. The firm is being sued by Edward Darby," Jessica stated walking over "oh goddamit," I groaned "what's wrong with you?" She asked "he's suing the firm because he wants Google back, that and he's my father," I replied "wait a minute... Edward Darby? That's your father?" Louis asked "Yea, I'll be surprised if part of his reason for suing isn't me being a disappointment," I said. "Louis get the associates on this, we're having an emergency meeting with all the senior partners," Jessica ordered "wild idea, why don't we merge," I suggested "that's not a wild idea that's an insane one. We will not be merging with that man," Jessica replied "Jessica, listen to me, my father is not just some attorney. The recent Google lawsuit is the only one he's lost in about two decades, it would be beneficial to the firm," I argued "and neither am I, Harvey, Louis or any of the partners," "I get that, I just don't think you see the benefits of merging," "look, I get it. He's your father, but this is my firm and you are a young associate who has only recently got out of law school, so don't tell me to run my business," Jessica growled "and I've watched my father work, I know how he operates so you're either gonna listen to what I say or you'll have constant meetings and have a higher chance of losing," I replied "Brian, back off," Louis ordered "you know what, you're right. You do likely know how your father operates, so why don't you take on this case. I'll step in if you are absolutely need me to," Jessica stated and walked off. "I sure hope you can back up what you say, for the sake of this firm and yours, mine and Jessica's careers," Louis said and walked off.

I went to my cubicle to see it's got a case file on it. I began reading it and knew it's the lawsuit. "Hey new guy! Hope you don't drastically screw up the case, because it's gonna look real bad when you end up losing and tanking your career!" one of the other associates yelled making others laugh "their's one more reason to win this thing, to show I'm superior to you," I mumbled before standing up and leaving the room with the file.

I went to the library and began working in there considering it's WAY quieter than the bullpen. "Hey Brian, I heard you're the one dealing with the lawsuit," I looked up to see Rachel stood there "yeah, I'm the one who knows more about my father's tactics than anyone so it's probably best that I'm the one to deal with this, it is also my fault," I replied as she sat down across from me. "You need any help?" Rachel asked "I only got Google as a client yesterday, and I know for a fact that his secretary isn't competent enough to get him a licence to practice in a separate city let alone country in a few days let alone one day," I said "so I need you to do your best in finding whatever shady shit my father or his secretary did or whether he's even able to practice law in the city," "how are you so sure that your dad would represent himself?" Rachel asked "because my father is someone who fights every single battle he can, and he will try to find every single shady shit he can to put us into the fucking ground," I replied "is this personal for you?" She asked "partly, but it's also personal for all the senior partners," I stated. "I'll get you that info," she said and left and then continued working.

"Brian, tell me what you got," I looked and saw Harvey "I got the fact that my father isn't even meant to be in the country, and that he isn't allowed to practice law anywhere in the country," I replied "and how did you get that?" "I'm his son, I watched the man work for almost two decades. Now I'm not a very good closer so I'm gonna need the best of the best to get this deal through," I said "you want me in there with you?" "no Han Solo, of course I mean you," "Star Wars reference? I thought you would only like theatre," "I may have grown up posh but I know good entertainment," I chuckled and stood up "so I'm gonna call him when he gets here and we will get a deal," I stated and walked out the room.
I walked to Louis's office and saw him sat there doing nothing. "Hey, tell me what you got," Louis ordered "I'll tell you when I win the damn case," I replied and walked off.

Word Count: 1343