Moving Forward

Wilhelm sat at the front of his dragon carriage with the horrendous forms of his comrades lying at his feet. The remains of his wife were still being held in his hands, so he looked to his left, where Natsuki Subaru held the reins.

As it turned out, Patrasche wasn't hurt at all by the battle, so Subaru swapped Wilhelm's ground dragon for the one that was always reliable. The other ground dragon would hopefully follow them back for the hour-long journey that remained.

Thanks to the Divine Blessing of Wind Evasion that all ground dragons possessed, no wind could affect any of the passengers in the carriage along with Patrasche, which meant that Theresia's ashes would not fly away in the wind.

Inside the carriage was a still-unconscious Garfiel, a satisfied Elsa, the tired Meili, and of course, you. Under the floorboards were the magic crystals that were originally in your carriage that were moved over. They were the initial reason for the visit to Crusch, so it was important to bring them. 

Wrapped up in the clothes taken from her body (which was a copy of yours) was Capella's head. As it turned out, she didn't have actual clothes but transformed her body to make clothes, so that's why she was able to have the exact same clothes that you were wearing.

In the front of the carriage was Wilhelm and Subaru, along with Beatrice, who was sitting at the edge next to Subaru. 

"Go now, I suppose," Beatrice commanded. "This place is unpleasant, so Betty wants to leave, in fact."

Subaru gave her a head pat, and it met minimum resistance from his contracted spirit. "You're pretty bad at reading the room, Beako... But that's okay! All of that time in that cramped library must have dulled your people skills, so I don't blame you too much."

Redirecting his attention, Subaru asked Wilhelm, "Sorry if Beako came out as a little impatient, but we can stay here a little longer if you want to."

Wilhelm was the man who Subaru looked up to. He was the perfect example of a reliable gentleman whose strength and experience were lacking in no aspects. 

So it was obvious that Subaru would be reluctant to leave this battleground if Wilhelm wasn't ready to leave this grave place.

And on top of that, Subaru's reality had recently been shattered. 

Out of nowhere, he found out that one of his best friends was in a contract with Echidna, the Witch of Greed, who he distrusted more than anyone but perhaps Roswaal. As a result, the teenager was more unsure of everything, including what to do in this situation.

Wilhelm hesitated, as if he was trying to figure out what he was going to say. "That will not be necessary. Theresia... is finally at peace. She will finally have an occupied grave, so I should return to Crusch-sama to begin the ceremony to honor my wife's final death."

Upon hearing this, Subaru made direct eye contact with the old man, with nothing but sincerity in his eyes. "You know, you don't have to do that alone. I get that you might want some time to yourself, and that's fine. But if you ever need anyone, remember that there's at least two people in this carriage that will always be there for you."

With a trace of tears in his eyes, Wilhelm nodded thankfully. "Thank you for your kind words, Subaru-dono. It makes this old man happy to hear such thoughtfulness. I would be honored if you and the rest of this group would be in attendance for Theresia's funeral."

Subaru almost teared up from the intense emotion that Wilhelm was emitting, so he averted his gaze and pulled on Patrasche's reins. "I'll be there. You can trust me on that. Death is something that you shouldn't get used to, so I'll be there. If I can help at all... then that would make me really happy."