1

"Can you believe they're ruining our perfect neighborhood for tourists?" Jorja shook her head, taking a sip of the soda in her hand

"Can you believe they're ruining our perfect neighborhood for tourists?" Jorja shook her head, taking a sip of the soda in her hand. She let out a low sigh. "We need to start vandalizing these buildings so they stop opening new stores."

The soda in her hand was snatched away by JJ Maybank, who scoffed at feeling how empty it was. "I told you that you could have a sip," JJ complained. "You damn near drank half of it."

"It's only fifty cents," Jorja said. "Do you need me to buy you a new one?"

He grumbled, "How about you buy your own?"

She rolled her eyes. JJ and Jorja were sitting on the sidewalk outside a convenience store. The pogues had all stopped by to get a drink on the hot summer day. The two of them watched the construction on the restaurant across the street.

A few moments later, Pope, John B, and Kiara finally exited the store as well, plopping down on the sidewalk next to them. Pope sat next Jorja, and held out a Coke can out to her.

She glanced at it, a smile forming on her face. "I told you I wasn't thirsty."

Pope let out a low laugh. "Yeah, yeah. You always say that."

Jorja smiled brightly, grabbing it from him.

"Pope Heyward," she mumbled, smile still playing on her lips. She said, shyly, "Always so thought."

JJ then reached over, grabbing the full can, and handing her the one she already drank half of.

"There, drink your own backwash," JJ told her.

"JJ Maybank," she sighed, "Always so...less thoughtful."

"Jorja Jennings, always drinking my damn stuff," JJ shot back.

If a stranger had been listening to this conversation, they'd probably think they were actually mad at each other. But Jorja just laughed. That's how her and JJ always spoke to each other, in sarcasm.

"What you guys talking about out here?" Kiara asked, popping open her bottle of kombucha.

"That was one of our favorite restaurants," Jorja said, bringing up the previous conversation, pointing to the construction across the street. "Now they're changing it. It was burgers, and now it's gonna be an Italian place."

"I like Italian food," Pope told her, positively. "You do too. Maybe we'll like the new place better."

"Yeah, right," JJ said. "None of us are gonna be able to afford anything from there except the tap water."

"Nah, they're too fancy for tap water," John B commented. "Look at all that artwork they're putting up. Place will probably be so rich they got sparkling water coming out of their sinks."

"Man, I hate sparkling water!" JJ suddenly shouted.

"Yeah, we know," Kiara mumbled.

"You like soda, though," Pope pointed out.