Chapter 11 Pt.II

Not him, not him, Raven reminded herself as Eris started smiling, her eyes now glowing brightly. Not him.

"I hate her for bringing me down here," Elian continued flatly. "For making me spend a year in this miserable hell hole she calls home. For-" he clamped his mouth shut, blinking furiously as he fought against Eris's control.

The goddess's eyes glowed brighter.

"I hate you," Elian said. He sat up, nothing more than a puppet. "I hate you."

Not him, Raven reminded herself, but each word still slashed into her, slowly shredding away her heart as the boy she loved glared at her with nothing but hatred in his eyes.

"I hate you. If it wasn't for you, I'd still be on the surface of the Earth. I'd see the sun, the stars, and the moon, feel the breeze on my face, the grass beneath my feet, and hear the sound of birds chirping. See the rivers sparkle in the sunlight. Why did you have to bring me here?"

"This isn't you talking, Eli," Raven said, trying and failing to blink away the tears spilling out of her eyes. "You said you wouldn't change a thing. You said you would stay with me. You said you loved me." Her voice cracked, just like her heart as every word Elian uttered shot into her, sharper than any dagger Eris could ever throw.

"I lied," Elian replied simply. Raven stared at him, trying and failing to remember that this was Eris, not Elian. "Why would I want to stay with a monster, much less love one?"

All the energy sucked out of Raven and she sagged in her binds, although the ropes prevented her from collapsing to the floor as his words ripped through her. It wasn't him, she knew. But he was still right. If it weren't for her, Elian wouldn't be here.

My fault, my fault, my fault, the words pounded in her mind as she stared at him. All of this is my fault.

"Rich!" Eris cackled in delight, her face glowing as she absorbed the anguish rolling off Raven. "I wish I could keep you two, just for the sake of entertainment!" She took a deep breath, breathing in the pain and blood that filled the cave. "Alas, I'm afraid Nyx is waiting. Say goodbye, and welcome to hell!" A dagger appeared in her hand, and before Raven could blink, Eris plunged it into Elian's chest.

Raven froze as Elian slowly blinked, looking down at the hand that held the blade protruding from his chest. Then, Eris twisted it deeper, and Raven couldn't do anything but watch with wide eyes as blood bubbled out of Elian's lips, dripping with a sense of finality onto the floor. Elian didn't make a single noise, didn't gasp or groan, just kept staring at the blade until he finally dragged his gaze up to meet Raven's stare.

"Monster," he whispered, and then the light left his eyes.

Eris sighed in pleasure as she yanked the blade out, letting Elian slump face-first into a pool of his own blood, and held it up to her face, examining it with a morbid curiosity. "So this is the life-blood of a son of Apollo. Red, just like all mortals." She licked the blade, glancing at Raven who was still staring at Elian's lifeless body in shock. "Tastes the same, too."

Raven didn't respond.

"You want some?"

The words entered one ear and left out the other as she continued staring at his lifeless form and the blood slowly creeping towards her. "Oh, come on, this is boring," Eris said, her voice suddenly muffled like it was coming through a mask. "What's with your reaction? Is he not dead enough for you?"

Raven stared and stared at the pool of blood shining against the torchlight of the cave and watched it trail over Elian's once blond hair, now stained with red. He's dead, Eris's words echoing in her skull. He's dead.