Prologue

Three Hundred and Fifteen Years Ago

"Is it done?" the darkness whispered.

"Yes, mother," Eris said. "Though I really don't see the point of doing this."

"Bah," the shadow said. "You'll see soon enough."

Eris nodded. "Well, it is done. The woman ate the shadow apple. You'll be able to retrieve the child in about seven months' time."

"Good, good," the darkness whispered softly. "Now leave me to contemplate my thoughts."

Eris bowed and left. 

"My love."

The darkness materialized into a woman of black ash and smoke, with shadowy wings, and white eyes. "Erebus."

A man, with a tunic of lightless black and glowing gold eyes, appeared. "Nyx."

"What brings you here, so far from Chaos?"

He raised his eyebrows at her. "I could ask the same thing, but I know why you're here."

Nyx drew herself up. "I was going to tell you."

Erebos sighed. "No, it's not that. I just don't get why you need a blood child."

"If it's successful, then she has more power than a regular demigod but has all the rights of one."

"You mean you need a demigod pawn."

Nyx hesitated. "Yes."

Erebos shrugged. "And I presume you also want my blood."

Nyx nodded. 

Erebos nodded. "Very well. And his?"

Nyx stared at him. "How did you-"

Erebus smiled wryly. "I'm not your consort and sister for nothing, Nyx."

Nyx's wings twitched, sending a wave of darkness into the space around them. "I was going to request now, actually. Though I'm not completely sure of his answer, I do believe that it will be in our favour. After all, if we do succeed, he will also have a blood child."

Erebus nodded again, his face blank. "How much?"

"Just a drop. It will be enough."

"Are we raising it?" Erebus asked

Nyx arched an eyebrow. "Who else would?"

"What about when the gods find out?"

Nyx laughed humorously. "They will not dare do anything, for fear of our wrath and his. She will be safe here."

"You can't intend to keep her here forever."

"Thanatos has sway with Hades. And many of my children have sway with different gods and goddesses. And if she goes up, they will still not risk our ire."

"Very well," Erebus said. "Good luck in your pursuit, Nyx." He faded back into the shadows.

Nyx stared after her husband, consort, and brother. She smiled wickedly. "Maybe more than a drop." 

A cloud of darkness enveloped her, a roaring cacophony of night and shadows. When the darkness faded, there was no indication of anything, not Eris, not Nyx, not Erebus, and most importantly, not the conversation between brother and sister, lovers, and the consorts of Night, Mist, Shadows, and Darkness.