Three||Beaten But Not Broken

I could see the calm exterior of the Kellso King's facade crackle with an angry fire at the sound of my words. I had declined Alydar's offer repeatedly, and his patience was beginning to wear thin. Although the food in front of me was tempting, my ego would not allow me to surrender so easily. 

It was the fifth day I had been brought out of the cells to sit at the Kellso King's dining table, the fifth day without food or water, the fifth day of planning my escape. 

In the short time I had to scan my surroundings, I came up with a half-witted, senseless plan to escape this hell. My only problem was the number of guards posted on every corner, the shackles attached to my wrists, and fatigue. No problem.

My plan would be set into motion when the surrounding guards unlocked me from the chair I was sitting in. Only one guard was escorting me today, but others were still posted around the fortress. This plan I had made was out of desperation. There was no sane thought process or guarantee that I would make it a few steps out of here, but some part of me was willing to try. There was nothing else for me to lose.

Being a prisoner for so long would do that to someone.

By this point, I was in delirium. Malnourished and sleep-deprived, I felt insanity creeping into the shell of the person I once was. I felt empty, hollow. Who I used to be seemingly vanished and was replaced by hunger. I was hungry for food and sleep, but there was a much darker feeling broiling inside of me, one which I refused to acknowledge as my own. It festered and spat poison into my blood, leeching through my body and tainting my thoughts with its cravings; chaos.

I would never be the same person as I used to be.

"Why do you deny me?" Alydar finally spoke up after calculating me with his dark eyes. The candlelight did not reflect off of his eyes. Instead, the light was absorbed into their abyss, like a black hole gobbling up the stars in the night sky. That's who he was. He snuffed any sort of light where he occupied, any hope someone held onto when in their darkest. He was merciless. And he didn't even have to try.

My eyes narrowed as if considering his question. "I wonder... Maybe it's because I want to remain in control of myself." I nodded like I was coming to a conclusion. "Yes, I believe that's why."

His knuckles turned a bright shade of white as he squeezed his fists tightly. He didn't speak for some time until his body relaxed, and he smoothed over his features to appear calm. "It's almost entertaining to see you still hold onto your old self as if it will do you any good. But I will say, it's refreshing to see how strong-willed you are. I was expecting you to be soft and cave easily, but you've surprised me by remaining in control over yourself this long." I remained quiet, unsure if Alydar was complimenting me or shaming me. "Nevertheless, your antics are getting annoying. I am not a patient man, and you have stretched my whims far greater than anyone ever has."

Alydar paused, allowing me to soak in his darkening mood. He did not frighten me as he used to. In fact, if situations were different, I would've cracked a smile at how I could anger this demon so easily. 

"I will give you one last chance, Navi dear." Alydar's voice was thick with darkness. "Accept my offer. Live more comfortably, all at the expense of letting me take over your mind from time to time. You would still be able to take back control. I wouldn't need you all of the time."

Without hesitating, I firmly gave my response. "No."

If possible, Alydar's eyes grew blacker with his growing anger. "Then you will not like what's coming next." With a wave of his hand as he took a seat, the Kellso behind me unlocked the chains binding me to the chair and escorted me from the dining hall. Here we go, I said to myself. Don't back down now.