Seven||Vows and Alliances

I could taste metal as I pushed myself to run from the Kellso hot on my tail. My breathing was ragged, and my legs screamed for me to give them a break, but my mind was telling me to keep running. I needed to lead the Kellso away from my group so they had a chance of survival.

Sticking my hand out, I gripped onto a wall as I rounded a corner to stabilize myself. My footing failed as I came tumbling to the ground, and my sword went skittering down the hall, but I pushed myself back up and continued running, picking up the only weapon I had.

A set of stairs presented itself as I rounded another corner. I wasn't sure what my plan was, but I knew I didn't want to go up; however, it looked like my only option as I scanned the empty hallway lacking any doors or windows. The climb took only a few moments as the winding stairs ended to reveal a long and dark corridor. The shadows loomed with a sinister nature, and a sense of foreboding washed over me at the potential threats hiding within the mysterious web of darkness. Screeching behind me caused my hair to stand on end as the Kellso came closer to my location. Either way, I was risking my life.

I bolted down the hallway, hoping not to trip over anything in my path as I blindly took to the shadows. I needed light to see, but the Kellso didn't. How I wished for my powers to return to me, but I knew better. I had lost them when I awoke in this prison, and I was just an ordinary girl, defenceless, besides my claws and teeth. So, ordinary was a stretch.

My hands jarred, landing against a solid door. Looking for a door knob, I blindly tried opening it, but my luck was wearing thin. The door was locked. If I had the time to turn around and backtrack, I would've, but the Kellso were already closing in.

A loud, obnoxious noise rang out into the eerie atmosphere as I slammed my shoulder against the wooden door. It gave way slightly. Realizing I had a chance, I continued to pound on the door until I smashed through it, landing in a heap on the floor. Scrambling to my feet and looking around, I paused when I came face to face with multiple women.

We stared at each other in shock. My eyes danced around their faces, wrinkled with age and grey hair toppling over their shoulders. We were snapped out of our stupor when a loud snarl erupted behind me.

Turning, I met the beast head-on with my sword, slashing at his face as he hung suspended in the air. He aimed to take me down, but he failed as I ducked away from his assault, rolling behind him and ready to attack again. When he landed, his feet hit the ground heavily, and sharp noises echoed through the room as his claws tried to gain traction.

Spinning around, he snapped his jaws in my direction as we began to circle each other, my sword pointed at the ready. Low growls permeated the still room. The women cowering behind me in a chosen corner had my heart beating fast in my chest. I had no idea who they were, no idea what they were, but some part of me was ordering me to protect them from the danger that disturbed them. This situation wouldn't have happened if I hadn't barged the door down, and a slight tinge of guilt seeped through me. If these girls got hurt, it was because of me. I couldn't let that happen.

The wolf-like creature's black eyes held nothing but malice as he leapt toward me. I ducked, rolled to the ground, and regained my footing as he landed on the stone. This game of cat and mouse was starting to annoy him, as his fur bristled in anger. I refrained from smirking, thinking better of it. Alec's words of never underestimating my opponent's wrath echoed through my head. Even though this Kellso beast acted like a freshly born baby, he still had teeth and claws to tear me apart.

I raised my sword as the beast charged forward, sidestepping out of his range and swiping my sword down the length of his body. He emitted a strange howl-like noise, whining from the pain that lanced his side.