Chapter 42: Her Hands Dyed In Red

Looping a golden lock around her finger, Mt. Lady glanced up at the tall edifices surrounding her. She watched as a bird's reflection carried across the glass, the rays of light bouncing off of them and hitting her eyes. She looked down, dropping her arm to her side as she was previously shielding her face. Then she gnawed on her lip when an embarrassingly loud rumble echoed in her stomach. Her eyes flicked to Kamui, who had his eyes fixed on her. She groaned, "I'm starving."

The sound of a sharp whistle took place behind his mask. He had huffed. "And what do you want me to do about it?" Even if he wanted the question to be unanswered, Mt. Lady practically beamed at his offering.

"Let's go get something to eat!"

He immediately shook his head. "No. We're here to patrol, nothing more."

"But without food, I won't be able to concentrate on our mission." She's whining.

"Don't care. Never asked. Now be quiet, I can't think."

"Think? What is there to think about, nothing is going on right now, so let's go!" She reached for his arm and ended up touching nothing.

"No, you can go yourself. I'll go on without you."

She stared at him, but briefly that it was as if she quickly made up her mind, which she did. She shrugged, "Fine by me." And she turned in the opposite direction of where they were facing.

•••

"Wait, Mt. Lady!" Kamui sputtered, jogging after her.

She clasped her hands over her ears, closing her eyes. "Can't hear you over the rumbling of my tummy!"

Kamui blew out an exasperated sigh, "You've got to be kidding me." He trudged on, staying next to her side.

The heroic duo walked down the pavement, down the crosswalks, and past the civilians who waved at them for their attention. Kamui waved in return, his features kept cool as stone, looking as unbothered as ever. Yet for Mt. Lady, she was the other side of the monotonous coin. She waved at them with a mix of enthusiasm and flirtatiousness-to the men-puffing her cheeks out causing them to flush. What a strange talent.

A sudden quick twist to her head startled him. Her grin widened, whites shining as she pointed to something far off in the distance. "Look! They're selling udon!" she exclaimed and ran off without checking to see if he was coming along.

"Wait, slow down!"

She sprinted towards a food cart that was set near a coffee shop and a flower shop. The hood, a large cloth in the color red, with white fridges that flapped in the wind, shadowed over the steel cart. Below, a man who seemed to be in his late thirties was brewing something in a crockpot. The steam flowed out, dancing in the air, allowing the oddly cold wind to carry the smell right from under their nose. The scent brushed over Kamui's mask, seeping underneath. He made no reaction towards it. The cart's not supposed to be here.

They came to a stop, standing behind a man who held a bouquet of all sorts of colorful flowers. He didn't notice the pair behind him as his eyes were glued onto the cup of noodles the owner of the stall gave him. He turned to his right, his head ducked low as he tried to balance the bouquet and the udon in his grasp as he ate. Kamui thought he saw a sheen of saliva drip down his chin before the man left.

"And you- Mt. Lady! What a pleasant surprise! What are you doing here?" a low-toned voice traveled into Kamui's ears.

"Oh, just out here patrolling." Mt. Lady said, and Kamui rolled his eyes.

He moved to face them, getting a good look at the man behind the cart on wheels. It was evident that the man didn't maintain good hygiene. His smile was wide, so wide that it revealed the hideousness behind those lips. Two gaps were present on the upper row of slightly yellowed teeth, a chipped canine on the bottom to his left, and a rotting molar. His brows were thick, almost becoming one on his forehead, and his hairline was receding. Kamui blinked, averting his eyes to avoid getting caught staring. His eyes flick back up nonetheless and that's when he caught sight of the man's cheeks completely pink if not red.