Chapter 92: Newly Formed Bond

The clacking of keys and the occasional click of the mouse echoed in Kyuu's room. His fingers danced across his keyboard with precision, gaze fixed intently on the glowing screen, absorbing every detail of the headlines that scrolled past.

Ayeong Song: an actress who rose to prominence with her Academy Award-winning debut, featured in twenty-eight ad campaigns in a single year. She had even donated a large sum of money to a charity for senior citizens.

Kyuu stared at a photograph accompanying the next article, capturing Ayeong Song and a crowd of reporters and bodyguards. An image taken from yesterday in the mall. Beneath the photograph, he read: Ayeong Song's unexpected appearance in Japan. So she recently arrived here. What could have brought her to Japan?

He watched a video of the moment she entered the mall. It appeared the reporters were following her, for she had made other trips outside the mall before arriving. He felt a surge of recognition as the lens captured fleeting glimpses of familiar faces. There, caught in the frame for less than five seconds, were Emi, Yunseo, and Akito, their expressions curious and in awe. But the brief encounter that followed sent a jolt of astonishment coursing through Kyuu. They filmed him and Ayeong Song's locking gazes, though he wasn't in the camera.

Leaning back in his chair, Kyuu couldn't tear his eyes away from the screen as Ayeong Song easily navigated the crowds. She fielded the reporter's questions with ease—acknowledging the press despite their pestering—and expressed her gratitude towards her fans. Her generosity amazed him. Here was a woman who wielded her fame with grace and humility, her actions speaking volumes about the depth of her character.

His mind wandered to the memory of her piercing gaze. Perhaps, he reasoned, she had mistaken him for someone else, someone familiar. It was a plausible explanation.

Returning his focus to his schoolwork, the image of the glamorous woman with glittering eyelids persisted.

•••

The live broadcast of the new hero rankings unfolded before Kyuu. His right earbud cackled with the voices of Emi and Yunseo, his phone propped up against the monitor.

"This is the first time All Might isn't there, right?"

Emi's voice went into Kyuu's ear, and before he could answer, Yunseo said, "Yeah. Since two years ago."

The event commenced, earning Kyuu's full attention. Ryuku strode onto the stage, the lights bathing her. Next up was Yoroi Musha, his imposing stature immediately drawing Kyuu's interest. The strangest part was Wash, coming in eighth place. Kyuu leaned back into his chair, baffled. Wash's unassuming appearance and quirky demeanor made him seem like a lesser-known figure in the hero community. Yet here he was, his popularity soaring to new heights.

The procession of heroes continued. Kamui Woods placed in seventh, following up with Crust. The man shed tears, full of emotion and pride. Mirko captured Kyuu's appeal, as she radiated unbridled confidence and fierce determination. In fourth, Edgeshot's sleek form glided effortlessly across the stage, demonstrating his mastery of stealth.

"He's currently on hiatus, but he's still number three! With the number one approval rating, Fiber Hero: Best Jeanist!" the reporter exclaimed on his screen.

Kyuu's brows contracted.

Hiatus?

"Shouldn't he be there?" he asked, the question hanging in the air.

"Well, today is a big day for him. Yes," Emi responded.

"We're all waiting for him to return as soon as possible!"