Chapter 15

A couple of weeks after the party Gracie and Darby are still regularly hanging out. But neither of them has worked up the courage to dare take that next step.

It's a Wednesday night and Dynamite is in the middle of a show. Gracie sits at her post behind the timekeeper's area and watches the match in the ring. Lance Archer and some poor unsuspecting local.

"Does he have to be so violent?" Gracie mutters to herself as Archer tosses his opponent around.

She watched Lance pin the kid to the mat with his boot and the bell rings next to her. Lance exits the ring and passes by her with a grin. Gracie rolls her eyes and slips into the ring to help her patient.

"Okay, let's get you out of the ring." Gracie helps the local out of the ring. "How are you feeling? Any dizziness or extreme head or neck pain?" She asks.

"No, I'm okay." The local breaths heavily. "Just sore." He insists.

"Alright, get backstage and take it easy for the rest of the night." Gracie nods and leaves the local to care for himself once he's backstage.

Gracie walks back out to her post just as Darby and Sting happen to head out to the ring. She smiles at them both as they pass and gets to her seat.

Darby and Sting have recently found themselves in a bit of a feud with Santana and Ortiz. And the battle is sure to be a rough one.

"Oh lord, be careful you two," Gracie mumbles to herself when Santana and Ortiz come out for the match.

The match for the night is Santana vs Darby in a one-on-one match. But Sting and Ortiz are both also out for the match. And Gracie can't help but worry.

"You aren't biased are you, doc?" One of the timekeepers teases Gracie when he sees her worry.

"It's my dad, I'm allowed," Gracie replies casually.

"Right, your dad." The timekeeper chuckles quietly.

The match drags on and Darby ends up doing one of his infamous suicide dives, the one move in his arsenal that Gracie despises.

Santana manages to move out of the way at the last second and Darby collides hard with the barricade. Gracie flinches and slowly begins rising to her feet.

"Come on." Gracie's nails dig into her palm.

Darby does rise to his feet on his own and Gracie relaxes again for the moment. She sits back down as Darby gets back into the ring.

The match drags on and Santana ends up getting Darby with a crucifix pin. The bell rings and Santana and Ortiz quickly make their exit. Gracie gets back to her feet and walks over to Darby and her dad.

"Come on, you're due a consult with me." Gracie beckons for Darby to follow her.

"I am?" Darby replies.

"After that spill into the barricade? Absolutely, off you go." Gracie nods with determination.

"Alright." Darby sighs and rubs his shoulder. "You coming with me, Sting?" He turns to his mentor.

"You go ahead. You're in good hands." Sting shakes his head. "Make sure he's in top shape, Gracie. I still need him." He jokes.

Gracie drags Darby back to the medical area backstage and sticks him up on an exam table.

"How's your head?" Gracie starts off.

"It's okay, barely grazed the barricade." Darby shrugs.

"Barely is still contact." Gracie quips back. "Follow the light." She takes her light out of her pocket.

"You worried about me, doc?" Darby grins to himself.

"I worry about everyone here equally," Gracie replies.

"Liar." Darby chuckles.

"Pipe down, or ill put you on a medical suspension for a concussion watch." Gracie rolls her eyes playfully. "Turn your head, and then roll your shoulder for me." She adds.

Darby does as told and rolls his shoulder, ignoring the sting when he does. Gracie examines the damage carefully then steps back.

"You're lucky that you didn't tear a shoulder muscle." She sighs and pulls her gloves off. "I swear, between you and my dad. My blood pressure is horrible." She shakes her head.

"Hey! It looked cool though." Darby replies.

"That's a matter of opinion," Gracie replies. "But you're fine. Unfortunately." She tosses her gloves away.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Darby questions her.

"What? Is it a crime to worry about you?" Gracie replies. "I've seen the damage that Santana and Ortiz can do, firsthand. And it's not pretty." She sits on the edge of her stool.

"Just me?" Darby raises a brow at her.

"You're more prone to doing stupid shit to pull a win." Gracie points out. "But you know what I mean." She insists.

"We'll be fine, Gracie," Darby assures her.

"Yeah yeah, I'll believe it when I see it." Gracie shakes her head. "Now off with you." She stands back up. "I've got paperwork to do and I'm sure my dad will want to make sure you're fine."

"Alright, I'm going." Darby chuckles. "See you later, Gracie." He waves to her before he walks off.

Darby heads out and Gracie gets started on her paperwork for the week. She glances down at an incident report from Dark this week. A minor head injury to one of the Dark regulars at the hands of Santana. Gracie sighs and fills out the form, worry in the back of her mind.

Gracie knows that Darby and her dad are both capable in the ring. More than most. But Santana and Ortiz are notorious for being a more rough and tumble pair than most. She's got every right to worry. About both Darby and Sting.

And maybe Gracie does worry about Darby a bit more than Sting. But she knows Darby well. She knows that he'll do whatever it takes to win. Even if it means letting himself get hurt. And she hates that.