'Why are we here again?' Nazzim asks from my side.

We're standing at the entrance to the swimming pool section of the gymnasium, clad in grass stained soccer gear and cleats. I probably should have changed before I came. I look across at Nazzim, 'just curious.'

I don't know why I don't tell him about Jacob. I never lie to Nazzim. But this, just...I just want to keep it to myself this time.

I step into the room, beckoning Nazzim after me when he doesn't immediately follow.

'Where's your school spirit?-' I lean forward, checking that the team is still in the pool, '-we've never watched a training session! It could be fun!'

'Yeah, fun.'

I ignore Nazzim and walk further into the pool room, the overwhelming smell of chlorine filling my nose again. An ex-student - I don't remember his name - is shouting at a bunch of splashing spots in the pool. I literally have no idea who is where, or what they're even doing.

At least in soccer you can tell the difference between the splash piles, you know? Anyway.

The first splash hits the end of the pool, a spray of water cascading over the lip of the pool and causing me and Nazzim to jump back a few steps. All I can see is a hand gripping the tiles, finger's lodging in the grouted sections. Then another flick of droplets (I'm starting to think you need to wear bathers just to sit poolside), and a rubber cap held in a second hand joins the first on the edge of the pool.

Jacob isn't looking up when he pulls himself out of the pool. His eyes are hidden underneath this wet curtain of black hair, which I think are busy looking down at the tiles and grouting.

'There's literally a step ladder right there-' Nazzim mutters from my side.

'Shh!' I slap his shoulder, not looking away from Jacob.

Jacob's completely drenched (no shit Sherlock) and I'm a little surprised at how muscular he is underneath his school uniform. He's got these really broad shoulders, and a defined six pack. The real shock is the fact that he's wearing these ridiculously tight bather shorts. Like, super tight. I don't know why my cheeks get hot.

He looks up at me, freezing half-way out of the pool.

I hold up a hand, palm facing Jacob, and smile, 'hey.'

He shakes his head, water flying everywhere, and climbs the rest of the way out of the pool. He walks toward me and Nazzim. He has really long legs. They're slim, like the rest of him. Me and Nazzim have soccer legs. Nazzim is a little shorter than me and Jacob is a few centimetres taller than me. Jacob's standing in front of me completely soaked and wearing skin tight bathers.

Closer up, I notice Jacob has eczema along his torso and in the creases of his elbows, the red and inflamed rash stark against the rest of his clear skin.

'Great swimming,' I give him the thumbs up.

'-you literally couldn't even see him, his head was underwate-'

I elbow Nazzim in the side and grin over at Jacob. 

__________________

Please don't forget to vote and comment 💗🥰