The Fifth "Almost"

The fifth time you almost say it, you'll wish you said it for the rest of your life, despite Bruno insisting everything went perfectly...

That same night, you changed your outfit three times because you were so nervous.

He's my boyfriend, you thought, I've spent loads of nights with him. This is no different.

Except things were different.

For one, your parents were acting differently. When you got home they seemed almost...apologetic. Your mother insisted you stay in the kitchen and help her cook, despite almost always wanting the space for herself. Your brother had offered to fetch firewood for you. You had almost dropped your knitting needles in shock when your sister-in-law sleepily informed you that she wanted to include your name as her baby's first or second name.

"We'll miss you. When you're married. But I know our familia will always be together." She whispered as she fell asleep again.

You wanted to shake her awake and demand she tell you what she was talking about, but a soft knock interrupted you.

Your father peeked his head in the door.

"Señor Bruno is here to pick you up."

"OH!" You barked, then cringed as you looked to your sister-in-law's sleeping form. Luckily, she was knocked out.

You were out the door and halfway down the hall when a hand on your wrist held you back. You turned to your father. Your quiet, serene papa, who never seemed nervous or upset, who you had never seen cry, was looking at the floor solemnly.

"The villagers have been asking about the two of you."

You didn't need to ask him to clarify.

"Do you love him?" Your papá was looking into your eyes now. He knew the answer. So did you. It was high time you admitted it.

"He means the world to me," you took another breath to continue, but a noise behind you interrupted you.

At the open door to your home stood Bruno. He was holding a bouquet of what looked to be lavender and sweet-smelling freesia. Your favorites. Instead of his usual green ruana, he was wearing brown pants and a pressed green shirt. Blush covering his cheeks, and hair pushed out of his face, it was clear he was making an effort. For you.

And oh, the way he was looking at you.

"Bruno..." You whispered.

Your father cleared his throat, making the two of you jump.

"Señor L/N," Bruno said smoothly, "Thank you. For your child's time. Not that they need permission. Of course, this is your house, your rules, but –"

"Bruno," You stepped forward and took his free hand, smiling as hard as you could, "you promised me a vision, let's go.

You both rushed out the door, calling a hurried goodbye to your father.

"Y/n, can I ask you something?" Bruno said softly when you were well out of earshot of your house.

"Of course," you looked over to him. With his hair out of the way, you could see the tips of his ears were burning a harsh red. He looked so handsome, it made your heart hurt. However, you still preferred his unruly curls.

He cleared his throat.

"Well first, here," He handed you the flowers. You took them gingerly, as if they were made of glass and not something Isabella could re-create without a second thought.