C H A P T E R 2 3

— • —

Chapter 23

Lian Ren frowned at what the woman named Qiying said about tasting her. He immediately shook his head as a response and replied, "We don't have such intentions, Miss. We were just searching for someplace to hide."

Qiying slightly tilted her head in confusion, but her face remained blank. She slowly took a step forward in their direction, lowered her guard, and spoke, "It seems that both of you are new here. You don't know where the places are that you can hide?" Qiying said with a slight frown. "Originally, you can ask about the ghosts in the city. They will immediately tell it to you since they are the ones who build the places in case something bad happens."

Lian Ren was about to speak again when Shao Ling signaled for him to be quiet and spoke. "What is happening here?" Shao Ling asked bluntly. Qiying shifted her gaze in his direction with a blank expression until she saw the strolling ghost generals in the alley of the city in her peripheral vision.

"Follow me," Qiying simply said, then turned around. "If you wish to know, I'll tell you."

Shao Ling and Lian Ren glanced at each other before they quietly decided to follow Qiying from behind. As they went deep into the forest, the sound of the crows and their fluttering wings was heard all over from above. Some of the glowing red flowers were illuminating the forest, making it look easier to see because of the gigantic roots of the trees. Qiying went from left to right, then went straight deep into the forest until they ended up in a plain with no grass growing on its polluted soil, but red, glowing flowers were seen around.

At the side of the plains, two to three small huts were built, and elders were sitting on tree trunks while ghost children were playing with sticks and leaves. Lian Ren frowned as he looked at the small houses and the ghosts, while Shao Ling continued to walk forward, wearing an unreadable expression on his face. It was weird for some reason because as soon as Lian Ren entered the Ghost City, the ghosts he could see were only humans. There were no demons, witches, or even monsters. Only pale humans were seen all over the city, which makes him wonder even more about what is going on with the Sin of Wrath and why human ghosts were living in his city.

"Sister Qiying!"

The ghost children's faces immediately brightened up as soon as they saw Qiying's face. Qiying gave them a small smile that slightly brightened up her face and patted their heads. "Have all of you been good? You're not causing trouble to the elders, aren't you?"

"We're not!"

"We've been good lately!"

"That's right!"

"I also fixed the hole in the roof earlier!"

"I chopped down some trees!"

"I gathered some herbs!"

"That's good," Qiying simply said, patting their heads more. "Now, let me take care of the guests first. Go and play somewhere."

"Huh?"

"Guests?"

The ghost children shifted their gazes in Lian Ren and Shao Ling's directions with their mouths slightly open. Lian Ren gave them a warm, friendly smile as a greeting, while Shao Ling remained staring at the children with an unreadable expression. His sooty black eyes were showing a hint of sympathy and sadness. Because of intimidation, the ghost children took a step back until they slowly ran away with a flustered expression. It seems that they are not used to seeing unfamiliar faces for certain reasons.