Chapter Three

Alice

"Wow, you really thought this through." Teresa says as we both step out of the car, closing the door behind us. "I mean . . . look at this place, it's amazing. We get to have the whole cabin to ourselves?"

Juliet turns around with a wide smile plastered on her face, linking her arm with Will. "So, I'm guessing you guys approve? It took me a couple of weeks to find us a perfect spot!"

"Well, I love it." Teresa replies.

My eyes wander to the cabin, feeling excited to get a step inside. This place is surrounded with trees as we're literally five kilometres away from town, it's secluded and we would be spending time without any interruptions. It seems like a perfect place for a getaway or even a honeymoon, a place to prioritise quality time.

Eric and I used to plan going out to places like this, somewhere private. We would spend time by ourselves, playing board games or spend the whole day cuddling. We wouldn't have much in our heads and that time, in that exact moment, it sounded perfect. It was a perfect plan.

It never happened. It was gone in a blink.

Honestly, things with Eric was never a smooth ride. There were bumps here and there, showing off the struggles we had in our relationship but when things were going great, we had plans. We made plans for the future, we even thought about getting married, how many kids we would have. The kind of things any partner would discuss together if they're thinking long-term.

We were thinking long-term.

We thought of forever.

"Alice?" Ian, calls out from behind as the rest walks into the cabin.

I turn around, seeing him taking a few steps towards me.

"Ian, didn't see you there."

"Well, one would think you were reminiscing." Ian replies, shoving both of his hands into his jeans' pockets as his eyes focus onto me. "I haven't seen you in awhile, Alice. Come here and give me a hug,"

With a smile plastered on my face, I lean forward and wrap my arms around his body. He responds by placing his chin on top of my head before pulling me close. "I missed you."

"So do I," I mutter.

"Come on, let's talk a walk."

We walk side by side towards the side of the cabin, down a pavement. The cold air touches my skin but we proceed to walk down the path. Ian wraps his arm around my shoulder to pull me close. Some people might see us as a couple but we're nothing more than close friends. Ian's a very protective friend, he cares more and the way he shows his affection is through his own actions.

"I just broke up with Karen," He starts.

Karen, it's not her actual name. Ian enjoys naming his flings as Karen because he doesn't want to take the time to remember their names, it's easier for him to just say 'Karen' and dump them. Ian wasn't always like this, he wasn't the type to break other people's heart and move on. He loved hard and it broke him. Now, he chooses to be in the comfort of another for his own pleasure.

"That's your fifth Karen this month." I look up at him, seeing him smile.

"Well . . . I can't help it, I'm too charming."

"Why? Did she get too attached?"

Ian shrugs, "You can say that. I never make things last more than a week,"