North

Victoria

As I look around the incredible landscape I see not a single wolf, "Where are they?"

We're at the edge of a forest looking out at a grassy plain with snowcapped mountains lying to the north.

Ghost said this is where the Moon Light Pack was when he left them to collect us, that was a month ago.

"Look around boys, see what you can find," Ghost orders.

"Is this a test?" Felix asks as he follows Ghost out into the open.

"No. Yes. Maybe," I feel Ghost chuckle beneath me as he makes his way toward the stream.

I've noticed he's having Felix delegate more tasks to the twins, almost like the leadership training he started back home with Dad.

All my life I thought Felix was born to be an Alpha, but on this long journey he told me he's always wanted to be a warrior first and foremost. As soon as his wolf came to him, he dove into combat and leadership training.

Meanwhile, the twins? No one has any idea what they want, and I doubt they know either. I half expect them to leave the pack and join the circus as clowns. At least they'll have each other.

"North," I hear Catori whisper.

"North?" I ask Catori aloud looking north.

Ghost glances up at me over his shoulder, "How did you know they went north?"

"Oh, my wolf told me," I look down at Ghost who seems a little confused.

"She told you? She used the word north?"

"Um. Yes?" Oh gosh, why is he asking me that?

"All right, let's go north then."

It took another two days to find the pack. During that time Ghost told us more about our Uncle Keo, "He's a bit of a character, he likes to speak in riddles because he thinks it makes him sound clever."

"I like riddles," Oz says leaping over a log, "are they any good?"

"I'm not sure, we can never solve them, so we all just assume that they don't actually have answers."

"How many wolves are in your pack?" Felix asks.

"Thirty-five. Now with you four it'll be thirty-nine."

"Wow, it's small," Axel seems genuinely surprised even though our dad told us everything he knew about them.

He probably wasn't paying attention. The only thing I'm a little concerned about life in the Moon Light Pack is seeing everyone naked if they shift into human form. Roamers don't wear clothes, there's no need apparently.

Ghost chuckles, "It is the largest roaming pack in North America and Canada, Axel. It might not be as big as your pack in numbers, but one Roamer has the strength of four average werewolves."

"I smell something. There are wolves following us," Catori whispers to me from the depths.

"Rogues?" I link with her.

I need to remember not to speak with her aloud after the north scenario because according to Felix normal wolves don't speak in full sentences.

"They don't smell like rogues, but I also smell blood," I look around trying to figure out where the wolves might be.

Ghost looks up over his shoulder at me as I squirm around on him, trying to look behind me, "It's my Mom, she was out hunting with some of the others. They will follow us back to the pack."

That's when I spot a greyish-white wolf, whom I assume to be Ghost's mother, Aponi. She holds half a stag that dangles from her mouth. The wolf next to her carries the other half. Goddess, he's massive. He has a scar that runs down through his left eye, which is completely white. I watch him, unable to look away, for whatever reason I don't fear him, I don't get that vibe from him. The scarred wolf winks and my hand waves back on its own accord.

"Hello little niece, I hope you kids are hungry," says my aunt through our mind link.

"Hello Auntie Aponi," I wave to her. "It's nice to meet you."

As the sun begins to set, we finally see the roamers' camp in the distance. There's a big bonfire already going and surprisingly a couple of tents are set up. I wasn't expecting tents. Maybe they're for us?

Auntie Aponi and the big, scarred wolf run up ahead. Roamers shift into human form to take the deer from them and start preparing the meat to cook.

Ghost stops before we get too close, "Uncle Keo knows you're here. It's better if you enter the camp on foot."

I climb off and adjust my backpack.

"You can do this. Chin up and don't be afraid," Catori says.

"Right," I look at my brothers.

Felix gives me a little nod of encouragement.

We make our way towards the camp. I should feel nervous, even a little scared, but honestly, I'm excited. Ever since my parents told me about the suppression charm, all I wanted was to take it off. I want to know what I am and just how badass Catori really is.

As I reach the camp I look around for my uncle. Dad said he looked just like him, just less stocky with lighter-colored hair.

We were prepared for full nudity, but I'm surprised to see everyone in human form is covered up, probably for our benefit until we get used to the place. I see a man watching me as I approach him. Yup, that must be Keo. He does look like my father, just scruffier and younger with a lot of beaded necklaces and earrings.

I stare up at him, waiting for him to say something poignant, after all, this is the shaman that's going to be my mentor, he's going to be the one to teach me about my wolf and strengthen my connection to the Moon Goddess. It's then I notice everyone around us bowing their heads as a sign of submission. I've seen my parents do this; Keo must be projecting his Alpha aura.

My uncle sniggers, "Interesting."

"What's interesting?"

"If I told you, it wouldn't be interesting anymore," he chuckles.

I feel my eyebrow shoot up, "I'm immune to your Alpha aura Uncle Keo, I was just being polite. We came a long way, can we start? Where do we sleep? When can I take off my charm?"

The corners of Uncle Keo's lips curl up, "We're going to get along just fine."

With that, my new life as a Roamer of the Moon Light Pack began.