The Safehouse

In an old safe house, a bright light flashes, though this seems to have gone unnoticed.

When the light fades, the agent appears, lying on the ground. He coughs a few times as he wakes up. He groans in pain as he pushes himself off of the ground. The only light source seems to be the sunlight passing through the windows.

"Oh, man. What happened?" He rubs his head. He looks around and realizes that he is no longer in the subways of the Dark Zone. "What the-?" He looks around in alarm, trying to find how he got here, but there are no clear signs that give him a hint. Luckily for him, he still has his gear on him, minus the contaminated items he was supposed to extract. He sighs in relief. At least he isn't walking around empty-handed.

"Hello?" He calls out. His voice echoes through the safehouse. There is no response. "Anyone here?" He tries again. Like before, no response. He picks up his backpack and puts it on. He also draws his pistol in case he's truly not alone here. He slowly moves through the safehouse.

Looking around, this place seems abandoned. There is dirt and dust littering the area. Lights are on the ceiling but are not functional. No signs of anyone stepping foot here in years. Just eerie silence.

The agent peeks in one room. Looks like a kitchen, but looks like the place was ransacked. Every cupboard, cabinet, refrigerator, anything that looks like it can hold something, all empty. Some appliances were missing too as it seems that the stove and oven were taken away. He leaves and decides to look somewhere else

He peeks into another room. This time, it looks like a storage room, possibly for supplies like food, water, and medicine. Like the kitchen, it was completely empty. He leaves to search other rooms.

He looked through a few more empty rooms, a room filled with some dusty bunk beds, a shower room, and a bedroom. All of them are in a similar condition. Many items that may have held importance or value were taken, a buildup of dust and dirt, and no working appliances.

He eventually finds the exit. He forces the door open, though it takes some effort as the hinges are not cooperating. He takes a deep breath and gives the door a strong push, opening the door and giving the agent a glimpse of the outside.

He sees green trees surrounding him and equally green grass on the ground. It was also warm. A stark contrast to the city and winter weather he was in earlier. His jaw drops. "I-but-wha-How!?" His shock makes it difficult for him to find words. There was no way this was happening. He closes the door, then opens it again, trying to make sure he is seeing this correctly. It's the same thing. He pinches himself once to make sure this isn't a dream. He feels the pain. ". . . This is real, but how?" He goes back inside and closes the door.

He is walking through the halls of the place, trying to get his thoughts together. "Alright. You're in a safe house in the middle of a forest. You have limited supplies and you still have your gear." He realizes he still has his gear. Maybe he can try to contact the JTF or his fellow agents. He tries to call the JTF first . . . No response. He tries again with similar results. He then tries to call any agents nearby . . . like his attempts to contact the JTF, he was only met with silence.

He pulls up his map to see if he can locate any JTF safehouses, agents, anything, only for the map to come up blank. He hits his fist on a nearby table in frustration. "Damnit!"

It takes some time for him to calm down. He decides to go into the bedroom. It was cleaner than the rest of the safehouse, but not by a noticeable amount. He places his things on the bed. He passes by a mirror. He didn't think much about it at first, but when he glanced at it. He froze.

He looked several years younger. In fact, he looks like he's in his late teens, but that wasn't the most shocking part. He looked above his reflection's head and saw an orange halo floating above it with equally orange wings(?) on his back. He is silent from his shock . . .

Until . . .

"WHAT THE FU-"

------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Welcome to chapter 2 of this odd mess. Our agent is a Sankta now.

While I was writing this, I had an internal debate on whether or not the agent remains as a human (of Earth) or he becomes one of the Terran races on arrival. I chose the second one.

If you have any suggestions for the story or feedback, feel free to message me about it.

Thank you for reading and I'll see you next chapter.