Chapter 2

January 20, 2021

Evie stared at the now deceased body, wondering who the person was and why would someone want to hurt another human being. She never understood how someone could hurt or harm another person. It was one of the first things that Evie had learned when she was young. She knew there was violence and cruel acts were done to others. That was the kind of world they lived in. But she never understood how someone could harm another person.
Evie tried to come back to the present, to listen to what her father was telling her, but she couldn't manage it. It was as if her own thoughts had control of her entire body.
"I want you to go with Sherwood. I'll be there in a bit." Somehow those words managed to bring her back to reality. Of course he would want her to leave. If there was one thing Evie was sure about, it was knowing that her father didn't want her to be involved in any police business. Even if she wasn't qualified to do so, Evie did want to stay to see what clues she could gather. She glared at her father. She was not leaving. Evie was as capable as anyone else. Already anticipating her reaction, her father stirred them away so they could talk in private.
"I know you want to stay, but I need you to be safe."
"Am I not safer with you?"
"You're safer away from this." Evie looked at him and somehow knew that there was something he was keeping from her. It had become an unspoken agreement between them that Evie would help him solve cases. Knowing it was pointless to keep fighting with him, she finally agrees to go with Sherwood.
~
Once they had arrived at the police station, Evie went inside Sherwood's office and thought about pulling out one of the books she bought since it seemed Evie was going to be there for a while. It wasn't what she really wanted, though. What she wanted was to leave and go to her father's office, so Evie could piece together what could have occurred with no one to intrude on her own thoughts. She also doesn't wish to do so in front of Sherwood, as he seems to be inspecting her too closely. Before she had come inside, Evie said she could wait for her father in his office. He responds by saying her father may end up taking a while and he could get her a coffee while they wait. After drinking the coffee and a few hours later, Evie thinks about how much longer her father could possibly take while ignoring the officer's stare in her direction.
"Are you alright?" Evie looks at Sherwood from the corner of her eye and raises an eyebrow in response. "Most people wouldn't be able to handle seeing a dead body. Let alone a girl." Evie narrows her eyes at him in response.
She wasn't sure if it was sheer luck or maybe it was the universe that didn't want there to be another dead body that day, but her father finally appeared, distracting her from commiting murder. Evie instantly stands up to leave, ready to go with her father into his office, but pauses as she sees the look on his face. He gestures for her to come into his office and she obliges.
As he closes the door to his office, Evie asks the question that has been on the tip of her tongue for the past few hours. "Dad, what's going on? And don't tell me I'm not supposed to help. You know I have in the past. What's different about this?"
"I want you to promise me you won't get involved."
"Can you at least explain to me why?"
"It's getting worse, mi nina. I need you to be safe. I don't want to lose you, too." Evie nodded in response, knowing this wasn't a fight she could win. Maybe someday she would be able to, but not today. He shakes his head and says, "I'm sorry. I know you want to help, but--"
"I know." Evie sees the truth in his eyes.
Someone knocks on the door and comes in. By the look on the officer's face, it isn't going to be anything good. "We found something." He says, looking over at Evie.
    "You can go home if you want." Her father says, knowing that the officer didn't want to say much in front of Evie. "Actually, I was planning on heading to the library, but then..." She trailed off meaningfully. "But once you're done here, you can pick me up."
    "You're certain?" Evie nodded. "Well alright. One of the officers can accompany you."
    "What? I thought I'd be able to go on my own." She paused then, realization dawning on her. "Wait. Does this mean there's been other killings like the one that occured today?"
    The silence that followed was answer enough. Evie felt her eyes go wide and stared at the both of them. Neither met her eyes.
"I'll be back in a few." The officer who had come in, finally said. Then he proceeded to leave. "I'll take that as my sign to leave as well, then." Evie gathered her things as her father came to stand in front of her. "Stay safe alright. And please, don't do anything remotely stupid."
"Like you're about to do?" Evie questions. Her father stares at her in response. "I want you to stay safe as well. Just because you're older, doesn't mean you can make reckless decisions either. How about we make a deal that we won't make any reckless decisions?"
He sighs and says it's a deal.