Chapter 4

January 20, 2021

Evie ran towards the outskirts of town as fast as she could. She looked around and around until she noticed her father's car. Evie tried to be as silent as the shadows of the night as she pulled off her backpack and left it beside her father's car. She continued to walk up the path and paused, noticing a blur in the night. Maybe Evie should have told a police officer to come with her, but would they have allowed her to come along? No. She decided to look for her father herself. Even if it was a reckless decision.
Evie continued to walk toward the blur and soon enough, she saw that there were two blurs. She looked at the figure that was bending over what she assumed to be her father. But by the way the person's hands seemed to be moving, she knew that this person was trying to help her father. Evie wasn't sure how she knew, but she knew it in her core. So she runs toward them both and knows she must've alarmed the person since they instantly look up, alarmed at the sudden noise. "I don't mean him any harm. He was hurt and I was trying to help."
    Evie ignores whoever is speaking to her and kneels beside her dad, trying to get him to wake and speak to her. She checks his pulse and releases a breath she didn't know she had been holding. So he was still alive. She took hold of his hand and whispered: "You're going to be fine. I'm here."
Sensing the person staring at her, Evie looked over at him questioningly.
"Let me carry him. So we can get him help." Now that she could see his face clearly, she saw his features. He had dark hair and his face seemed haunted. But it was his eyes that intrigued her. They were a kind of blue that seemed to glow in the night. He wasn't human, and yet she wasn't afraid of him. She looked into his eyes and nodded. He looked shocked, as if not expecting her to trust his words so easily.
"Carry him. I can drive us to the hospital." He quickly did as told and followed Evie to the car.