Skating.

"Do you wanna, maybe... I dunno.. go to a skate ranch, later?" Haida was already embarrassed, quick to change his mind about the entire thing as he ranted on about how Retsuko isn't obligated to go if she didn't want to. "Only if you want! You don't have to if you don't want to! I was just wondering, since we were both free on the weekend and we don't really talk much outside of work it would be a nice opportunity, ya know? But I'd understand completely if you don't want to go! Plans may change for you, yeah?" He nervously laughed as his rambling carried on, scratching the back of his head as his panicked eyes darted around the room, trying to look at anything but his shorter work friend.

"I thought you'd never ask." She seemed unphased by his rambling, giggling at it. She never realized how cute she found it. He gets so anxious whenever he asks her out.

"I'm sorry for ask-Oh, really?" He chuckled, the heat on his face becoming more apparent as he continued to speak. "I mean, yeah! What time do you want to go? Maybe we could get drinks afterward."

"That would be wonderful! I'm free whenever." She walked pass, smile on her face. "I can't wait!"

Haida watched as she walked pass and back to the office, sighing in relief, but it wasn't long lasted as Fenneko walked in. "So you finally grew some balls, huh?"

"Yeah, I guess so." He laughed, his face forming a soft smile at the thought of hanging out with Retsuko. Previous times, she'd just been busy, or he chickened out, but now, he finally has his chance. He just has to hope he doesn't screw this up.

The fact she accepted was the first step in the right direction, he hoped.

His thoughts were interrupted as Fenneko pulled him down by his tie, voice hushed and angry. "Well, listen here, if you chicken out last minute like you did last time I'll have your dick on a platter and feed it to everyone in the office." She let go, adjusting her skirt. "Otherwise, good luck."

"Yeah... Thanks."

-

Haida shot up once his alarm went off. He'd been relaxing for the majority of the day, when his alarm reminded him of the skate ranch. His nerves immediately were through the roof, quickly throwing on a presentable outfit before running out the door. Being late or showing up in a crappy outfit wouldn't give Retsuko a good impression of him, and he wouldn't let that happen.

He wore a sleeveless turtleneck that was tucked into his pants with an also sleeveless, cropped leather jacket. His pants were black jeans, accompanied by a spiked belt, as long with a pointy choker and matching wrist bands.

He panted, standing in the doorway to the skate ranch. He quickly looked around for Retsuko as his hand held onto the door for balance. He sighed in relief when he spotted her, walking over. He knew someone in the office would pester him about not offering to walk her. Maybe it would've been more romantic. Oh god, what if he's going everything wrong? "Hey, Retsuko. Glad you came."

"Why wouldn't I?" She smiled, tilting her head.

"Haha, I guess you're right," he said, although he could probably name a million reasons why she wouldn't. He was just an awkward guy, someone she works with; Why would she want a life with him when she could be with someone way better? In fact, she has been with way better people. What if he lives up to none of them? What if she spends her time in this relationship wishing she were with someone else? He wouldn't blame her. There's not much to see with him. He's just a speck of sand in a desert. There's nothing that stands out about him, no defining characteristic whatsoever.

So why did Retsuko choose a guy like him?

They walked up to the front desk together, letting the person working know each of their shoe sizes. They were handed their skates, both staring down at them with uncertainty. The worker took their shoes and set them on a shelf. "In all honesty, Retsuko.. I haven't been skating since I was a kid."