Chapter Three

It took almost two hours of me and my step-father running between the parking lot and the fourth floor to carry all my belongings up the stairs to my room. I lived in a four-person suite with two rooms set up, which included a bathroom, living room, and kitchen. Throughout the entire move-in period, I had yet to see Jacey or our other roommate. My mom got tired from sitting in my room unpacking as her husband did all the heavy lifting and decided to leave me just in time for dinner that night. Jacey had shown up shortly after, having gone to Target with her parents. Her mother and father walked her upstairs and hugged her goodbye before leaving us to sort things out in our room before the freshman events started.
    "Did you move everything up alright?" She asked awkwardly.
    "We carried everything up the stairs so I'm out of breath but I'll get over it" I replied.
She looked over my shoulder and analyzed my slightly unpacked side of the room.
    "We still have a lot of unpacking to do" Jacey blurts to start a conversation.
I tell her that I didn't even bring half of my belongings. Since my parents are divorced and I split time between Ohio and Colorado, I never have all of my stuff in a single place. In fact, the only consistent part of my life had been my dog, Dizzle. She was the only thing that always traveled with me between the two houses.
My bed was made and books overflowed the shelves above my desk. I didn't have much decoration but all of my stuff was a uniform color: pink. A majority of my belongings had all been bought with the little graduation money I had received and the rest was bought by my sister. Although it wasn't anything fancy, my sister had spent a whole paycheck to help me finish my dorm checklist. Overall, I was pretty satisfied with the way my room looked but I had forgotten a lot of stuff at my mom's house. I had shown up to college without a toothbrush, no floss, no perfume, and most important no shampoo and conditioner. So, a trip to the store was very much needed.
    "I forgot a lot of things, and I really need to go to the store," I tell Jacey honestly.
    "We had a freshman event at 5 but we can go after dinner together if you want?"
    "That would be great. Which, off-topic, but where is our other roommate?" I ask again.
She thinks for a moment before responding.
    "She's older than us so she doesn't have to move until the end of the weekend"
Today was Friday and it turns out this mysterious roommate wasn't going to show up until Sunday at the latest so we had to wait a possible two days before finding out who she was. For now, it seemed like that day was never gonna come.