Chapter 47: an old friend

Clay POV.

“Are you sure this is the place?” Tommy asked curiously as I led him up the driveway of Punz’s home. “I mean this place is so fancy, yet yours was so gross. How could you and this person be friends?”
I rolled my eyes at the blond and simply explained that he had a good inheritance.

The blond didn’t seem to believe me but stayed quiet as I stepped onto the porch and walked up to the door. I raised a hand to press the doorbell before stalling, after all Punz might think that I was dead, how would he react if I was here with 4 strangers. Or, what if Dream was here, how would he react when someone who was identical appeared.

The 4 gods standing around all seemed to notice my hesitancy and let out small sighs. Wilbur and Niki seemed understanding, however Sapnap and Tommy seemed impatient. “Hurry up Clay. George might be getting tortured right now.” Sapnap pointed out, and everyone in the group turned to glare at him.

“Sorry, I was just pointing out that it was a possibility that it would happen.” The ravenette muttered, practically shrinking under our cold gazes.
After looking away from him I knocked on the door, deciding to use Punz as a way of distracting all of us from what Sapnap had just said.

I knocked on the door and then shuffled backwards awkwardly a few inches. I froze when I bumped into Wilbur and just awkwardly stood there. A few seconds passed and there was shuffling on the other side of the door before it opened.

“Look, I don’t know what charity or whatever you are here for but I am kind of busy with…” Punz began as he opened the door and looked at the group tiredly. However he froze when he saw me, his eyes widened and it seemed as though he had seen a ghost.

“Clay?” He tentatively asked, watching me carefully with a softened expression and slow movements as though if he was too fast or loud I’d end up disappearing.
“Yeah.” I said with a smile. “It’s me, Punz. I was wondering something that I nee-”

I was pulled into a tight hug by the platinum blond, something completely foreign from my entire friendship with Punz. Occasionally he and I would high-five, or pat each other on the back, but those were the only two forms of contact we never got to have physical touch. However I won’t deny that it felt good to be able to see my childhood best friend again.

“Who are these guys?” He asked when he pulled away and looked at the four gods, all of whom gave him a small smile when he looked at them.
“These are my friends.” I said, stepping away so I was standing in line with the four. “I met them while I was away doing… well I don’t need to remind you.”

“Oh yeah.” Punz said with a wide smirk, remembering what had happened. “How did that go for you by the way?”
“It went… well.” I tensed up at what he was saying, sending glances at Tommy and Sapnap, who were standing on either side of me.

Both of them were trying to guess what Punz was talking about and I suspect that Wilbur and Niki were doing the same. “That’s good to hear,” my friend continued, “I have some more questions but I’ll ask you inside. It is kinda cold out here.” The group seemed confused at his statement but followed Punz inside when he beckoned him in without complaint.

Punz’s home was quite nice, it was given to him by his crazy old grandma Dotty whose personality matched the nickname she’s had since her childhood. It was large enough for a family and was quite nice (when Punz didn't decide to trash it for a party).

The group all gathered around the couch, with me, Tommy, and Niki squished up on the white leather couch, which had turned brown with age and stank of weed. Wilbur leaned on the couch behind his younger brother. Sapnap was sitting on the armrest of the couch beside me, practically leaning onto my shoulder.