[Chapter 9] Evergreen

Sam and I planned to spend Christmas break together at the villa and were going to leave immediately after he finished his exams. I exempted all of my exams, like Beth, but still went to Mrs. Steward's class to wait. Since so many students were doing well in her class, she decided that those who still had to show up would watch a movie about the Arbiters instead of having an exam. It was something to pass the time—and was worth the extra credit for the next semester.

The movie was like any other history film; made more for those that wanted the facts instead of a compelling story about the Convergence. The other students looked at the interactive whiteboard with eyes glossed over, having no interest in a history lesson. Even I had my own distaste for the movie as it was both dry and matter-of-fact compared to the action-filled drama, 1986, and chose to doodle instead.

While the Arbiters were by all accounts essential in ending the Convergence, don't allow yourself to be fooled by the propaganda on either side of the aisle. There was nothing peaceful about what they did to end the Convergence, but many considered it a necessary evil in saving the planet. It was the help of all the monsters they conscripted that allowed them to completely seal the rifts and create a common ground—crossing beyond the barrier of language. And in the end, it was the Arbiters that pushed for an expansion of the Interspecies Integration and Naturalization Act, solidifying their place in our world as its modern protectors, and giving those who helped a place in our society—for better or worse.

As the credits rolled, the mechanical bell sprang to life with a shrill; signifying that class was over and Christmas break had officially begun. The classroom jumped back to life as some of the human and therian students exchanged gifts, sharing their well-wishes with each other. The other monsters awkwardly exchanged their own gifts, not fully understanding the custom, but wanting to take part all the same.

One of the preppy girls that sat in the back of class, a valkyrie, approached me as I was stuffing my notebook into my backpack. She used her broad white wings to block me from leaving my desk.

"Thought you might come today," she said. "Thinking about joining?"

"Joining what?" I asked.

"The Order of Veter. Could really use more humans like you."

"No," I said. "I don't know how to make that clearer to you."

She let out a smug laugh. "You Catholics are so obstinate. I'm only trying to save you from yourself! Imagine all the good you could do by protecting the world from magic. Don't waste your natural talents by sipping wine all day."

I angrily stared at her. "Considering the Valkuth are the largest religion in the world, I'd say y'all 'saved' plenty already. If your faith was truly so resolute, you'd not bother with those who haven't converted."

She scoffed. "Funny for you to talk about faith. For beliefs that focus so much on suffering, you sure have very little to show for it. Heaven does not come to those who toil away their lives—we must make it for ourselves." She laid a pamphlet about understanding Valkuth theology on top of my head. "Merry Christmas," she said with a smirk as she walked off.

I immediately tore the pamphlet in half. I wanted nothing to do with the Valkuth, their religion, or their damn proselytizing. And because of her interruption, I had to wait for the flood of students to pass before I could leave the classroom.

While waiting at the door, I noticed Sam moving against the crowd. We agreed to meet at my car, so I wondered why he was heading in the opposite direction down the hall towards the cafeteria. I went after him after most everyone dispersed, allowing me to move freely, and from a distance, I could see him and Vivi sitting alone at a table on the far side of the cafeteria. The light from the glass window behind them highlighted Vivi's ears and Sam's head, making it hard to see what was going on. And, unfortunately, they were too distant for me to hear their conversation.