[Chapter 13] Overture of Magic

We were well into February when Sam fully embraced her new life and identity. In that time, she let her hair grow out and wore much tighter clothes. She became confident in herself, and her new appearance was well received at school, though mainly because most assumed she was a new student. Unfortunately, being outed as an abomination by some of her human classmates led to a lot of new attention; both positive and negative. Many of those in her grade became cold to her and called her names—the worst coming from the girls who paid no mind to her before. Their very vocal disapproval didn't seem to bother Sam much, however, as she found support in her monster classmates. And despite Sam's shift in social circles, she still sat with me at lunch with Blinds also coming back to eat with us on his own accord.

I was a little late to lunch and came upon Sam and Blinds arguing at the booth, something that often occurred in my absence. I asked, "What's the problem now?"

Sam said, "Blinds is being an asshole, as usual."

"And she's being ignorant," said Blinds.

Sam continued her fit. "But I want to learn! Teach me how to use magic!"

"Get over it already, damn. You know it's not possible."

Sam crossed her arms. "Only because you won't teach me."

Blinds sighed. "There isn't enough mana in the air for us to use magic. Pestering me about it isn't going to change that fact. You'd have to carry a mana crystal around—and good luck finding one worth a damn."

Sam looked down and became a bit calmer. "I know it's a lot to ask. You're just the only one I know that's so smart and knowledgeable about magic. I wanted to learn from the best."

Blinds cleared his throat. "You think I'm the best?"

Sam pouted. "I do, but if it can't be helped then it can't be helped. I'm pretty close with some arbiters, I could ask—"

"No need for that!" A sly smile appeared across Blinds' face. "I'll consider it. But only if you get me some of those cookies they serve in the lower level."

Sam's eyes lit up with determination. She pushed past me with some urgency, nearly knocking me over. Blinds and I both watched as she ran towards the ramp to the lower level and hurried down.

I turned to Blinds and said, "You only said that to make her leave."

He smiled and leaned back in the booth. "You know me so well."

As I sat down on the empty side, I asked, "Are you really gonna teach her?"

"I wasn't going to originally, but she's been pretty persistent. She's going to find her answer somewhere; may as well be me. It may be enough to convince her not to join the Arbiters. Safer that way—for all of us."

I nodded along. "Don't think she's cut out for it?"

Blinds paused and tilted his head. "I mean... nothing good will ever come from getting involved with them." He was serious but remained calm. "Becoming an arbiter changes you. I don't know if it's the process or the reality of being one that does it, but you end up becoming a stranger to everyone that knows you. It's why they take up new names—why their previous identities are considered dead."

"Oh... I never knew."

"Eh, it's not something they advertise. Would hurt recruitment." He took a few bites out of his food. "But I did mean to ask you, all this time..." He paused a bit and made conflicted expressions of anger and doubt. "Did Sam tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"That she's a girl?"

"Before emergence? No. She insists she always was, though."