seven

"Oh, you look so pretty."

Mavi smiles at Nadia from where she sits on the stool as her friend steps out from the changing room, smoothing down the emerald green dress she's just tried on. It has a high neck and long sleeves that flare at the ends, the skirt brushing the floor.

"I think the colour isn't exactly right," Nadia muses, looking at herself in the full-length mirror. "You really like it?"

Mavi nods. "I think it's perfect. Especially for a dinner like this one."

She hums in response, still examining herself with a critical eye. "Gods know how much I wish you could come."

Mavi stifles a rueful smile. "I hardly think the Malfoys will appreciate me showing up to their dinner party."

"Draco would." Nadia catches her eye in the mirror just before she looks away. "He enjoys your company."

Mavi ignores the heavy thump of her heart. "Yes, well, I think Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy would overrule him as soon as I stepped foot in their home. A Muggle-born? Please."

Nadia rolls her eyes. "You don't know how many discussions I've had with them about this. They just won't let up. Honestly, I think their stubbornness has more to do with their pride than anything else."

Deiji suddenly pokes her head into the doorway, long hair tumbling past her shoulders in soft waves. "You guys finished in here? The boys are ready to go."

"Deiji—" Nadia turns.

"Love the dress. You're buying it."

"But—"

"No, the colour's perfect."

Nadia stops and sighs. "How do you always know?"

"Because you complain about the colour of every dress you pick out. Now, come on. There's a line at the cashier."

"Draco's with us. They'll let us through."

"I'm an Auror, Nadia. I can't go skipping lines. Now, hurry up!"

A couple minutes later, both Mavi and Nadia step out of the changing rooms, the emerald green dress draped over Nadia's arm. They head over to where Deiji has been waiting in line for them.

"The boys are already through," she tells them, adjusting the three dresses she has in her arms. "You don't have to wait with me."

But Nadia stays behind as Mavi weaves through the line, squeezing past customers and mumbling apologies until she's through to the outside of the store, emerging onto a wide street, packed with people.

She scans around for Draco and Idris, zipping up her fleece as she does so — but it's only when she feels a soft nudge against her fingertips that she looks down.

Draco's Patronus blinks up at her, sitting on its haunches and nudges her fingers again, the sensation like a forceful wind brushing her skin. Then it turns its head, pointing its wolf snout across the busy street at where Draco and Idris lean against the wall, waiting for her.

Mavi's pulse picks up as Draco meets her eyes and with a flick of his fingers, vanishes the wolf from beside her.

She hurries over, dodging people as she does so. It's noon on a Saturday — and so Diagon Alley is filled to the brim. She hates crowds but she's glad she agreed to come along when Nadia had asked her. If she'd refused, she never would've been able to see Draco in this navy blue sweater — a colour that makes the silver in his eyes more stark.