The Berk PD Case Files: The Impossible killer

Smooth Jazz was playing in the background as the smoke of a cigar wafted through the cold air on the balcony. A bulky figure was smoking while holding a tumbler of amber liquid in his right hand. The front door of the apartment opened causing the occupant inside to glance that way.

"Oh, it's you..." The gruff voice of the man uttered. Little did he know it would be his last.

-0-

A blond, dressed in a beige and black pantsuit, stood at the entrance to the bullpen of the BPD in the early morning clutching a file. "Hot coffee coming through!" Was shouted and the blond woman quickly stepped out of the way as a lanky guy barreled past her carrying at least eight cups of coffee and what appeared to be a box of bagels. "Come and get it guys!"

Cheering filled the bullpen causing the blond to stare in shock. Coffee and food were quickly being dispensed to several eagerly waiting detectives and officers. "Is this even normal?" The woman muttered more to herself as she watched something akin to a National Geographic documentary about a Cheetah stalking a Gazelle. Only this was a pack of detectives stalking a box of bagels.

"Aye it is lass," Someone said, coming to stand next to her. "I take it yer the new transfer?"

"Astrid Hofferson," She introduced while turning to look at an older detective who seemed to have somehow easily snagged two bagels from the carnage.

"Gobber," the other introduced, offering a hand, and then joked. "Better get used to it lass. Today seems tame,"

"Uhm.... I'm supposed to meet with the Captain this morning?" Astrid asked. She looked towards the Captain's office but it seemed to still be empty.

"That's her right there..." Gobber happily pointed out a slim blond woman cradling her coffee like it was a lover. "Though you might want to wait a couple of minutes 'till the caffeine kicks in."

"Right," Astrid nodded as she cautiously watched the decimation of caffeine and pastries.

Astrid didn't have to wait long for the detectives to spring into action. One moment they were fighting over bagels, the next they were all watching their Captain when she called them to order as a call came through over the radio. "Possible 9409 Upper North Side. HADDOCK! It's yours. Take the newcomer!"

"Rodger!" An auburn-haired man stood up and grabbed his long coat from the chair it had been draped upon and Astrid realized this had been the same man that had pushed past her with an inordinate amount of caffeine and food.

She was also shocked that the Captain had known she was there the entire time, said nothing, and then immediately ordered her into the field without an introduction to the rest of the detectives. "But... I... uhm..." This was so against standard protocol that she was at a loss for what to do.

"Come on Rookie," Detective Haddock, someone that seemed about her age, had said as he motioned for her to follow him.

"I... I... I'm no Rookie!" Astrid called after him but followed. The lanky man had led them to a rather beat-up silver Honda in the parking lot, saying nothing else until they were seated.

"You've transferred from HQ to the Berk PD," Haddock stated. "It's the most crime-riddled city in the country. Nothing at HQ can prepare you for Berk, trust me on that. So to me, you're a Rookie," he deadpanned.

"I'm Hiccup by the way," The other introduced as he pulled out of the parking spot. "Looks like Cap stuck you with me for a partner."

"Astrid," She answered in return as they were off to the scene of the crime. She hurriedly tried to put her seatbelt on as Hiccup entered traffic.