Prologue: Death Among Us

"HIYORI!!!" Shinji screamed as she fell past him. Banking sharply, he turned and zoomed after her. Countless thoughts were brought to his attention in those few moments. His vision turned red as he saw the gaping wound and blood zipping past him. He snarled, the Hollow side of him making him bloodthirsty, promising himself that he would skin Aizen and Ichimaru alive after he saved his friend.

The hot-headed girl was stupid enough to try and take him by herself after he insulted them. After she was better, Shinji would make sure he would beat her up. After WHEN (not IF) she got better. He knew she was too stubborn to die. He wouldn't let her die. Yet despite his determination, when he finally reached her, first sight of the slash told him it was fatal. He gritted his teeth.

Looking up at the sky, he called, "Hachi-" only to break off when he realized the fights had cost him a lost limb. Without both his arms, their resident Visored Kido master wouldn't be able to help. Abruptly, he remembered a orange-haired girl with remarkable healing powers.

"Ichigo... Come back already!" Shinji pleaded.

As he held the blond girl, he turned his glare up to Aizen.

The traitor remarked in amusement, "I like that look in your eyes. It seems as though they have finally returned to life after 100 years. Do you despise me? If so, I'll unsheathe my sword just for my former captain."

Shinji stood, face hardening. He turned to Hachi.

"Try to keep her alive until Ichigo comes back," the two men exchanged nods.

As the former 5th captain engaged their enemy, the pink-haired man bent over his friend in worry. His face contorted in anxious emotions when he realized her condition. Unless Orihime came, Hiyori probably wouldn't make it through the next few hours. Hachi lowered his head in defeat once acknowledging he couldn't help his makeshift family when they needed him the most.

He set to work, attempting to overcome his exhaustion and lack of spiritual energy. Even after using some Kaido that would have made Unohana proud, he only managed to place his friend in a coma-like state to preserve her life energy. Next, he placed a quick, yet sturdy barrier around them to block falling rubble and reduce the power of any stray attacks. Completely spent, he collapsed next to her. Hachi alternatively pressed a finger to her neck nervously to check her pulse every few minutes and watched the losing, hopeless battle with growing dread. Whenever it seemed as though they might have had the advantage, Aizen would spring another trick on them.

When Ichigo burst out of nowhere behind Aizen, everyone let out a collected sigh of relief. Seeing the injured nearby, his only companion, the 4th Squad Captain Unohana, touched down and approached Hachi.

He immediately let the barrier fall and watched out of the corner of his eye in unease as she healed Hiyori. When the calm woman stood, the Kido master turned to her.

She answered the unasked question, "I've healed most of her injuries, but her life is still in danger. If she doesn't have the willpower, she won't be able to recover."

Hachi cracked a smile. Unohana lifted the corners of her own mouth. If it was a battle of willpower, they had no doubt Hiyori would recover. After all, there was rarely anyone courageous enough to start an argument, find faults, or even hit Captains.

The former Kenpachi praised Hachi for his work before moving to heal the lieutenants nearby. He continued to observe the battle, mind relieved. None of them noticed when Hiyori's breathing stopped.

_________________________________________

A few moments before:

Hiyori watched in shock as a sword tore through her abdomen. She slowly turned her head, spotting a familiar smirk and closed eyes. Shinso contracted, shrinking into its smaller, original form.