Proud

emily's pov

I sat in my office, tapping my phone against the desk nervously. Every part of me wanted to call him, but I also knew that I shouldn't.

For one, he probably be too busy too talk. And to add to that, I'm not even supposed to tell anyone that I'm being considered for director.

Whatever the reason, the first thing I thought when I got the job offering was, I want to call him.

Sighing, I gave in, and unlocked my phone.

Not wanting to give myself a chance to change my mind, I went to contacts, and pressed on his name.

For a second, my thumb hovered over the call button, but then I pressed it, taking a deep breath before bringing the phone to my ear.

"You've reached Aaron Hotchner, please leave a message and I'll call you back."

I knew I shouldn't be disappointed when I got put threw to voicemail, after all I can't just expect him to drop everything and answer my call.

Before I had a chance to put any more thought into it, a knock on my door snapped me back to reality.

"Come in," I shouted, before looking up to see Matt stood in the doorway.

"Garcia just texted, we've got a case," he told me, and I nodded before following him to the briefing room.

As soon as we had been briefed on the case, we got on the jet, ready to head to Arizona, which was where we were being called in from.

About half an hour into the flight, I was looking over the files with the rest of the team, when I felt my phone ringing in my pocket.

I looked at the caller ID, and couldn't help the small smile that crept across my face when I saw who it was.

"I'm just going to take this call, carry on building the profile," I said to the team, before getting up and walking over to the back of the jet, where it was a lot quieter.

"Hey," I said into the phone as I sat down.

"Hey," Hotch said. "Sorry I didn't pick up earlier, I took Jack to the park and left my phone at home."

"It's fine," I laughed, nervous about what I was going to say next.
"There's something I wanted to tell you about, but you've got to promise not to tell anyone else."

"I promise, and I'm already curious," he joked.

"So, I had a meeting yesterday with the assistant director, and I found out that my names been put on a short list of candidates for the next director of the FBI," I told him.

"Oh my god Emily, that's amazing, I'm so proud of you!" He said, and I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Thank you, you have no idea how much it means to hear you say that," I laughed nervously. "I- I just wanted to thank you. I wouldn't be the profiler I am today if it weren't for you believing in me, and I know that for a fact. So thank you."

"You're welcome, but you being so good at your job has nothing to do with me. It's to do with you being such an amazing, smart, kind person, and one of the best I have worked with my whole time in the FBI. And honestly, they'd be foolish to make anyone else director, because no body would be as good at it as you."

I smiled, even though I knew he couldn't see me, and wiped away my tears - tears of happiness.

Taking to Hotch had made all of this seem so much more real, in a good way. I still know there's a chance that I won't get the job, but I know now that I'm going to try my best to get it.

"Thank you," I said quietly.

"So how are you, apart from the job?" Hotch asked.

"I'm good thanks, how are you and Jack?"

"We're good too thanks, he's decided his new favourite thing is painting, so that's what he's doing now," he told me, and we both laughed.

I glanced up to see Rossi gesturing for me to go back over, and I sighed.

"I'm really sorry, I'm going to have to go. We're on the jet, we got a case in Arizona," I told him.

"It's fine, good luck with the case," he said, before pausing for a second. "Do you want to get lunch or something when you get back?"

"I'd love to. I'll text you when we're done with the case," I replied, turning towards the window in an attempt to hide my smile from the rest of the team.

"Ok, I'll see you then. Bye Emily."

"Bye Hotch," I said, before hanging up the phone, and walking back over to everyone else.

"Someone looks happy," Tara commented as soon as I sat down, and I just shrugged.

"Who were you talking to?" JJ asked.

"Ooo let me guess, Emily Prentiss has a secret boyfriend," I heard Garcia say excitedly over the screen.

"No, I don't have a secret boyfriend, sorry to disappoint Garcia. It was Hotch," I said, blushing slightly.

"How are Aaron and Jack? I've not spoken to him for a while," Rossi asked.

"They're good, they went to the park earlier, and Jacks's painting now," I told him.

"That's great," he said, and I nodded.

Thankfully, a few seconds later Reid changed the subject back to the case, and away from my phone call.

While he was speaking, my mind wandered off to my plans with Hotch. It was just lunch, but I was weirdly excited to see him again. I just had to solve this case first.